Chapter 39: Council Meetings

The keepers were seated in their chairs in a half circle, the rest of the Gladers all crammed into the room behind them. It was cramped and hot, which didn't help the smell. Newt had taken Alby's spot, temporarily as Leader, leaving the second in command chair empty. Alex had her honorary council chair beside Newt's old empty one. And Minho beside that one. She was sad she couldn't sit closer, but apparently there are traditions they just had to uphold or something ridiculous that Newt had said. He also grumbled under his breath "and to keep your bloody hands off each other!"

"I'm pretty sure Newtie Pattotie, you wanted this to happen." she had gestured to Minho and herself, "so don't get cold feet now!" Alex had sassed, Newt just rolled his eyes.

Newt stood up and the room went quiet. "I declare this gathering bloody started or something like that" he said waving his hand in the air and rolled his eyes. Apparently he really wasn't one for the formal stuff.

Gally stood up, and puffed his chest up, "Things are changing. No doubt about that! First Chris is stung, then Ben in broad Daylight and now Alby! And now this Greenie here thinks he can just run into the maze!" He was addressing the other Gladers as much as he was the keepers.

"Not true!" Alex said, crossing her arms.

"What?" He turned his head towards her. "What's not true?"

Alex stood up to face him. "He's not the Greenie anymore. The SheBean is-" she turned and frowned at Minho, "man that really is an awful name! You guys really suck with naming things!"

"Who cares if he's a greenie or not!" Gally challenged.

"I care, Gally. And I care because if you're going to accuse someone of something, then use facts, instead of your conspiracy theories." She was so sick of this kid's mood swings and aggressive attitude. The other Keepers nodded thoughtfully.

"Who cares! He went into the maze, which is a clear violation of our rules!" Gally shot back.

"I would have gone in, if I wasn't held back" she shot Frypan and Newt an angry look, and then glared into the crowd of Gladers at Matt. Who shrunk back. She rounded back at Gally, "and I'm a runner. Does that make me a rule breaker, Gally?"

"He also saved Alby's life!" Frypan put in.

"Did he?" Gally snapped.

"Yes, because he is still breathing and his heart is beating. I call that alive. If Minho had listened to you, he would have been ripped to pieces by a Griever. And that's quite selfish. So yes. Thomas did save THEM. Minho opted to stay with Alby, and Thomas put their lives above his own." Alex said sternly crossing her arms, she stood right in front of Gally, not backing down.

"For two years we have coexisted with those things! And the minute Alex gets here they come out in broad daylight and now Thomas has decided to kill one of them!" Gally roared, turning to the Keepers.

"Gally, you fall off a bloody shuckin' roof?" She yelled exasperated. "Coexisting! Something that chases you down, and tries to kill the weaker is NOT coexisting! That's predatory!"

Alex was trying very hard to keep her temper under control. Newt was sitting there, arms folded, a look of pride on his face, letting Alex handle this. Minho had his hands behind his head, amused with his signature smirk. A twinkle in his half moon eyes, watching the argument.

She was definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not many guys were brave enough to stand up to him, and here was the only girl, a full foot and a bit shorter than him, right up in his face ripping his ridiculous theories apart. He loved her. So shuckin much.