Spike Imagine - April Fools

Start from the beginning

"I've got something," Anya says shortly, pointing at something in her volume.

"Oh, yeah." Willow's eyes catch mine, "Can you get me some honeyed eyes from the basement?" she asks me politely.  

She knows I hate it down there but I don't want to upset her more after that prank, Willow's sensitive, so I nod. The stairs creak under my weight and the temperature change makes me shiver. Why is it always freezing down here? The sooner I can leave, the better. 

I scan the shelves and I suspect someone's been reorganising because I can't find them anywhere.

"I can't see them!" I shout and Dawn appears.

"Willow said to check the creepy cupboard!"

Within the basement, there's a small room which we refer to as 'the creepy cupboard'. That's usually where the expensive or dark magic stuff is kept and it's even more creepy than the basement, let alone more cramped. I take in a deep breath, having to trust Willow as I flick on the cobweb-covered light switch and open the door. The hinges scream for oil and the light drones steadily. The cupboard is an L-shape, I look down the shelves but would have to step right in to see around the right-hand bend. I really don't want to. It's musty and damp and cold and -

"Spike?" he appears from the bend of the cupboard and curses under his breath. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like, slayer junior? I'm stealin'."

I scoff, "At least you're honest." Now I'm looking, his pockets are bulging with various yellow jars and even a pair of frog legs stick out of one. "Are there any honeyed eyes down there?" I ask. 

He smiles at me, grateful I'm not ratting him out, before he turns to look. "Well, I see two things that may be it but they're not labelled..."

Bravely, I step inside and join him at the end. I follow his outstretched finger to the top shelves and examine the jars - luckily, there's one jar left of the eyes Willow needs. Anya must have found a useful spell or something. 

"The left one," I say and Spike reaches up, higher than I could ever reach, and gets them for me. "Thanks." 

As soon as I turn to leave this dusty prison, the door slams shut and the lightbulb flickers at the movement but (thankfully) doesn't turn off. 

"What the..." I mutter, fear already spiking in my chest. 

Two distinguishable, girly laughs can be heard behind the door. Anya and Dawn. "This is revenge for the donuts!" Anya says proudly and Dawn chimes in with a faint "Yeah! And for all the pranks for the last five years!" 

"Oh no," I start, banging on the door with both fists, "This isn't funny! Let me out! Guys?" Their footsteps die away, "I'm serious! HELLO?"

I listen, waiting, but all is silent. I spin back to Spike who is staring daggers at me. 

"It's not my fault!" I protest.

"Is too!" 

"No," I counter, pointing a finger at him (which I quickly lower as he looks like he might bite it off), "I didn't ask to be trapped in this hell-hole!" I gaze helplessly around the creepy cupboard which now, come to think of it, Anya is convinced is haunted. The knot in my stomach tightens. "Okay, yes, I pull silly little pranks on them - once a year, may I add - but they're harmless! And - look, Anya and Dawn aren't the pranking sort. They don't know what constitutes as a prank, they- they probably think this is hilarious. Damn, they even got Willow involved, that little snake..." I trail off, betrayed.  

Spike huffs, crossing his arms, staring at the door as if he can shatter it with a penetrating stare. His eyes switch to me and I look at the floor.