36 - He's odd...

When Meadow woke the second time that morning, she shifted groggily into Ash as he exhaled a chuckle.

She looked up at him from the noise, seeing him gazing down at her with a half-smile, wide awake.

His arms were still around her, and it seemed as if at some point after she fell asleep the second time that he pulled a nice, soft throw blanket over her shoulders in hopes to keep her warm.

"You're still holding me?" she teased sleepily.

He tipped his head to the side, tucking some hair behind her ear as she kept her head resting on his chest, and she closed her eyes at the gesture but still smiled lazily.

"How long have you been awake?" she asked curiously.

"An hour," he responded.

She looked slightly confused. "Why haven't you got up to take a piss or to shower or something?"

"Because I don't have to."

She relaxed into him. "You're so weird."

"So are you," he responded.

"When we were kids," she told him, the time we'd do this, remember?" She snuggled slightly closer. "But it was always, 'ow, Jazzy, your butt is too boney' or 'Jesus, Jazzy, my legs are going numb.'"

"Your butt is boney," he stated, making her smile. "But it's okay. I can handle it."

She snuggled closer. "Seriously, don't you have to pee?"

"A little," he admitted.

"Do you want me to get up?"

"No," he stated.

She sighed. "I'm kind of surprised you managed to hold me all night. I would've gotten bored in that hour and cleaned or something. Especially if I was you, you're a clean freak."

He chuckled low. "I couldn't help it. When I woke up, I got you under this blanket, and you curled up like a little kitten. I couldn't just let go."

She gave him a lazy smile at his description. "I can never be menacing to you, can I?"

He shook his head. "Especially when you're sleeping." And he brushed his hands down her arms. "You warm enough?"

She nodded, cheeks buried under the softness. "Yes, thank you."

The sheets smelled like him... so tangy and fresh. Like a forest of mint leaves.

"So..." she said, "Ash...."

"Yes?" he said.

"What are we?" she asked, cheeks dusting with red.

"What do you mean by that?" he said, chuckling.

"Where does our relationship stand? Are we friends?" She hesitated for a moment. "Or are we something more?"

He was silent, and when she looked up at him, he smiled almost seductively and caught her chin, bringing his mouth gently to hers.

The moment their lips clasped, all hesitance vanished, and she pulled up to him in hopes to get him closer, trying to understand the heat that swarmed her inside.

He pulled away after a moment, letting their lips part as she stared up at his amused smile, seeing her pupils blown wide in the reflection of his eyes. "Did that answer your question?" he said.

She only stared up at him, breaths straining as his scent burned through every coherent thought.

But he lifted her off his lap and stood, giving her a side smile as he started to the door, but she didn't know what he wanted her to do: follow or stay?