16 - Finding a new place to sleep

Meadow's startled awake, sight meeting complete darkness, and she looked around the room to find herself lying on her bed in her day-clothes.

Her lights were still on, and she was lying sideways in her bed, legs dangling off the mattress.

She must've collapsed and asleep. She was up late last night drawing.

Meadow sat up then, stretching out her arms while slipping her legs off the bed.

She winced when her bare feet met the ice-cold floors, and she finally got used to it, getting up and walking over to her nightstand to check the time:

2:30 am.

Really? This early?

She sighed, rubbing a hand down her face.

Something cold was forming inside her, and she didn't know what it was.

It hurt... it was... painful.

She looked back to the door of her bedroom, sucking in her teeth when she remembered her dream last night, and how Ash rocked the girl, holding her tightly as she cried into his chest.

And she got an idea, so she walked over to it and got out, stepping down the hall.

She hoped he was asleep, honestly.

She passed the dark living room and kitchen, going straight to the staircase and walking up despite the floors freezing her feet.

Making her way down the hall, she cast a look at the messy room before shaking her head and going straight to the last door on the right.

She stopped at the entryway, raising her hand to knock but paused when she saw the light under the door off.

It was two in the morning. Of course, he was sleeping.

She hesitated, deciding what to do.

But then she chose, slowly opening the door and stepping in the dark room, leaving it cracked and walked over to Ash's bed to find the covers drifting up and down peacefully with his soft breaths.

Meadow looked around nervously for a moment, wondering what she should do and why she was there in the first place.

But she finally chose, getting down on the floor and curling up on the soft rug so she wasn't freezing her whole body with the marble.

And slowly, she closed her eyes.

Yeah... she was okay with this.