26 - Why do you have scars there?

When Meadow woke for the third time that morning, she was relieved that she didn't have any nightmares...

Or dreams, really.

Her eyes opened as she faced the wall, and she found Ash's side of the bed empty, so she rolled over to look for him, and the room was empty, as well.

She sat up, brows drawing together.

Where did he go?

Was he making breakfast again?

Right as the thought crossed her mind, the bathroom door opened, and Ash came out only wearing a pair of jeans and drying his dark hair with a fluffy towel.

She stared at his toned abs and hardened biceps; the little drop of water that slipped down and vanished into the V that led into his jeans.

Jesus... he defiantly spent hours lifting weights and exercising.

His eyes locked on hers after a moment.

Her cheeks shaded within seconds, thoughts tumbling as she darted her gaze away.

What the hell was she doing? Jesus, what the hell was wrong with her?

"Oh, hey," he said, and she could hear the smile in his tone, "good morning."

"G-good morning," she responded.

She could feel his gaze search her, burning under her skin like fire even though she wasn't looking at him.

She felt his footsteps get closer.

"Can I see something?" he said.

She was tempted to say, put a shirt on first, but for some reason, refrained from speaking.

So, she just nodded.

A second later, he sat on the bed beside her, the mattress dipping down with his weight.

And he pushed her hair over her other shoulder, making her look at him quizzically.

"You better not be planning on kissing me right now," she said.

He smiled at her. "I'm not. I just want to see something on your back."

What was on her back?

She turned away from him so he could see better, questioning if Cedric put a "kick me" sticker on there or something.

But when she felt him run his thumb along the whip scar on her back, she stiffened, something cold washing over her.

She jumped back, scrambling toward the wall.

Ash blinked at this. "What?" he said. "Too sensitive?"

Her cheeks reddened in embarrassment, though not from his comment, and she grabbed a blanket, realizing the tank-top she put on last night was too low on the back and the chest, and she wrapped the blanket around herself, standing and making her way to the door.

Ash was blocking the entrance seconds later. "Meadow... wait."

She stared down at the wall, avoiding eye-contact.

She honestly hated it when anyone saw her scars... she got bullied for them for years. That's why she always wore high-collar shirts or jackets even though she was hot.

She knew her mom knew about them, but that was different than him.

"Are you..." Ash said curiously, "self-conscious about them?"

She was silent, just kept staring at the wall.

"Let..." Ash said, "let me see. I want to see them."

She tightened the blanket around herself. "They make me look ugly."