CHAPTER 8

"GOOD MORNING MISS Redwood!"

Everyone fractured from padding themselves to their works, hearing the delightful and sweet voice of the young Limestone, greeting no one but Lizabeth. Chandler ducked into the retail exactly ten in the morning with a familiar plastic bag in his grasp. The plastic bag had a printed name KFC through the facade of its front. Confidently, the way Chandler sauntered from the entrance of the store up to the cashier stations, unruly and snappy, and face was pasting a broadened smile.

"Good morning to you too, Mr Limestone." Despite the awkwardness and timidness Lizabeth felt, she still managed to muster her expression. And maneuvered to greet Chandler in her response, plastering a fraud smile lackluster to her emotion. "What is that?"

Without oscillation, Chandler placed the plastic bag under the cashier station, where Lizabeth was doing her job. "That's for your lunch break later." Chandler said as he finished placing the plastic bag, staring at Lizabeth. "And you can have your lunch in my office."

Gagging, Lizabeth stiffened and at the same time twirling her head at Gloria then Dorothy. Then she heaved a deep breath in order to snag the tension off her chest. "Mr Limestone, what are you doing?"

"Being kind and generous to my employees." Chandler shrugged nonchalantly as he responded to Lizabeth. "Isn't it what most employers do to their employees?"

"But I'm not the only employee you have here." Lizabeth waved her hands to either side, where Gloria and Dorothy were obviously eavesdropping. "You have Gloria and Dorothy. And the three warehouse personnels, working over the back." She explained exasperatedly, pointing her hands randomly. "You really want me to get in trouble."

"But I'm not!"

"Yes you are, Mr Limestone!" Lizabeth scoffed angrily, insisting on her opinion. "Because if you're not, your parents would not have grounded you for the past two weeks." She stippled the plastic bag and handed it to the customer. "Thank you!"

"Oh, you're welcome, Miss Redwood." Chandler scoffed teasingly as he volunteered to respond even if it was not meant for him. He walked through the store, passing the cashier station before whirling around. "I'll see you later at lunch time, Miss Redwood." He waved at Lizabeth before ducking to the manager's office.

Lizabeth grumbled inwardly as she continued accepting and entertaining customers in her station. Ignoring how the other two cashiers glared and sneered at her, Lizabeth sulked and clenched her jaws. Time after time, she stole a glimpse to either side, checking if either Gloria or Dorothy was still sneering at her. The three of them were now placed in the same schedule since the store had so much customers. They were supposed to work eight hours a day, from seven to four. But Chandler insisted on begging them to work up to eight in the evening.

And that he would add four hours overtime pay to their daily wages. The same thing with warehouse personnels.

The large clock that hung on the upper wall adjacent to the cashier stations, rang and chimed loudly. It was reminding everyone that lunch time came, but Lizabeth never seemed to budge. Dorothy excused herself, reminding Lizabeth and Gloria that she would take lunch first, returning sooner after fifteen minutes. Even at lunch time, the retail store was bombarded with customers, who were there for groceries and other stuff. Lizabeth's concentration was nailed to the customers queuing to her station.

"Miss Redwood?"

A familiar male voice amplified from behind the cashier station where Lizabeth was busying. As she knew the owner and source of the manly male voice, Lizabeth twirled her portable chair and catched Ralph. "What is it, Mr Cortez?"

"Aren't you going to have lunch?" Ralph asked worriedly. His voice was loaded with concern and exasperation while frowning at Lizabeth. He stole a glimpse of the clock before glaring back at Lizabeth. "It's almost one in the afternoon."