Chapter 27

Day 11

Sharon couldn’t sleep well last night after what she and Pepper discussed. She had been thinking about it a lot and she realized that she never supported Steve. She supported him when the relationship began because she wanted to win him and his heart. It wasn’t her nature.

But then he demanded too much and she began to slowly fade from him. She told him to go to the therapist when all he needed was her to hold onto at night and soothed him.

All he asked for was a little of her time but she made a mistake and fucked it up. Now he had changed and probably wanted someone else to hold onto.

She had to fix this. They didn’t have much time before the wedding day. She didn’t want things between them to fall apart and she didn’t know when she will find a man like him again.

The most important thing was she had to save the wedding. She already invited like a thousand of people, from senates, to congressmen, to celebrities, and socialites. All the famous people and she didn’t want to suffer from the humiliation of the wedding fall apart.

Sharon decided to make a peace offering as a breakfast as she visited him at his gallery. Pepper texted her that Steve left tony’s house earlier this morning because he had something to handle.

“Good morning, Miss Carter, why are you here so early?” Jemma Simmons asked.

“Where’s Steve?”

“Upstairs, ma’am.”

Sharon gave a quick nod before going upstairs to find her fiancé working on a large size of an artwork that covered half of the wall with floor. He had all the outline worked out and she could see that it was a woman he was about to paint, someone familiar but Sharon was sure that it wasn't her. She saw this woman somewhere but she couldn't remember.

But the point was, the woman on his mind that inspired this work wasn't her.

"Who is she?"

"Someone in my dream." He replied without looking at her.

"Someone you want me to be?"

"Yes"

It was crude and cruel but Steve didn't care at that moment. He made up his mind and nothing Sharon did or said would change it.

"I'm sorry, Steve." She said. "Can you at least look at me?"

Steve turned but his eyes was blank and cold enough to freeze blood inside her. "I want to apologize. It was wrong of me to do that to you."

"Yeah."

"I was wrong and I'm sorry. I am admitting it and I want you to at least give a second chance to save us. Let me make it up to you."

"Do you think it's a bit too late for that?"

"No, it is not. We can make it, Steve. Just give me a chance."

"Fine."

Sharon broke out a wide smile and went to hug him. "Thank you. I will pick you up at 5 and I will make dinner."

"Okay."

She kissed him and noticed that Steve froze up before he kissed her back but the kiss wasn't intimate or passionate like she used to remember. This one was calculated, forced, and hesitant.

"I will leave now." She whispered after she pulled away. "See you tonight." Steve just nodded. Sharon headed for the door before she turned to him. "Why do you hold on to that bear more than me? Just curious."

What answer that she was expecting to hear from him anyway? Steve thought. But it would be better if he just lied to her to make things easier.

"It's cuddly. You're too many bones." He cracked a joke. "But mainly it helps me with my nightmare."