🏹 forty-seven

seated on the spare chair near her hospital bed, jungwon flipped through the pages of his chemistry textbook with tired irises and visible eyebags under his sharp, cat-like, eyes as he tried his best to memorize as much as he could

seated on the spare chair near her hospital bed, jungwon flipped through the pages of his chemistry textbook with tired irises and visible eyebags under his sharp, cat-like, eyes as he tried his best to memorize as much as he could. his parents were kind enough to allow him to skip school for two or three days to take care of haeun, but once he'll go back the teachers will bury him in tests so as a top student, he needs to prepare beforehand.

yet, his focus was interrupted by a few movements coming from the girl sleeping fondly beside him as she tossed in her bed and her chest began heaving up and down as if she was hyperventilating in her sleep. won set the textbook aside, now getting worried when he noticed the sweat shining on her forehead and her brows slightly knitted, placing his hand over hers and shaking her lightly to wake her up. "haeun, baby, wake up."

haeun suddenly woke up panting heavily, trembling and crying as her crystalline tears stained her cheeks because of the harassment replaying in her mind while she was sleeping. he interlaced their fingers and rubbed her back soothingly to help her calm her down, watching how her chest jolted in hiccups every a few seconds. "it's okay baby, i'm here."

the girl didn't utter a word, scooting to the side to make space for him as if she was asking him to seat himself beside her to which jungwon threw the shoes off his feet and hopped on the mattress of her hospital bed. she wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his chest while the raven carefully hugged her frail body to not hurt her further. "were you having a nightmare about the hassault?"

he felt her nod her head as she calmed herself to the soothing sound of his slow heartbeat, sniffing with her red nose while a single tear rolled down her pearl-like cheek when she closed her eyes. "can you sleep here with me? i don't feel safe tonight."

jungwon planted a sweet and deep kiss on her head, tucking a strand of her chocolate waves behind her ear while running his fingers through her soft hair to help her relax and forget what happened. "of course love, it's better than sleeping on that chair anyway."

she snuggled further in her embrace, filling her nostrils with his blueberry scent that gave her a sense of security. she felt safe in his arms, as if no one could do anything to her if his arms were securely wrapped around her body.

"can we go to a dog café when i get discharged from the hospital?" haeun's words were followed by a yawn, already getting sleepy just by listening to his heartbeat and be in his embrace as her eyelids felt heavy. "whatever you want baby."

she opened her half-lidded eyes to look at her surroundings just to notice the chemistry textbook laying closed on her bed nightstand, frowing at the sight of it before glancing at the clock hanging on the wall just to see it was already 2 am. what was that physics book even doing there in the first place? shouldn't he be resting at this hour? "won, why do you have a physics textbook with you?"

"oh that . . i was just preparing myself beforehand for all of my upcoming tests, since i'll be a bit behind compared to my classmates once i go back to school." a yawn, too, nearly interrupted his sentence as he explained himself, feeling like he could fall asleep in that exact moment because of the calm atmosphere.

"you're skipping school for me?" haeun raised her head just enough to look at his face whilst she suppressed a small grin that threatened to curve her lips at the simple thought of him going as far as skipping his school days for her.

"i mean, why wouldn't i? you're my girlfriend, and as your boyfriend it's my job to take care of you." jungwon pulled her impossibly closer than she already was, as if she could slip out of his arms any moment by now. to be honest, jungwon felt as if he failed as a boyfriend to protect her and make sure she was safe and sound. hell, he's probably the reason why all of this happened in the first place.

just as his lips parted to say something, a smile cracked his lips once he heard adorable snores coming from her, noticing how she cutely fell asleep on his chest with arms limply wrapped around his torso. he chuckled, planting a kiss on her head before making himself comfortable to sleep. "goodnight baby, i love you so much."

i'm gonna scream bro we're getting so close to the end