Chapter 24: Word is Bond

Markell

"So, let me make sure I'm hearing you correctly, you asked your girlfriends baby dad if they still fucking around?" Markell looked at Quincy for clarification as they picked up basketballs around the empty gym

Quincy sighed, "No not exactly, I more so asked if they had anything going on."

Markell sucked his teeth, "Nigga that's basically the same thing. What would possess you to ask him that though? That's something you should be asking your girl, not her child's father. Especially considering the fact that it was your first time meeting him."

Although Markell and Quincy have been friends for a few years, Quincy always kept his love life private. So when he came to Markell venting about what took place between him and his girlfriends baby father, Markell was genuinely surprised but nevertheless he was a listening ear.

"I don't even know man." Quincy shrugged his shoulders as he placed the last orange ball in the black bag and tied it close, "Shit was getting awkward, my girl had left the table to go to the restroom, and honestly it was a thought that had been floating in the back of my head for a minute."

"So what, you think she cheating on you?" Markell questioned

Quincy frowned, "Hell nah. This is just my first time dating someone with a kid and what if he decides one day that he wants his family back? Where does that leave me?"

Markell nodded his head in understanding, he could see where Quincy was coming from. It seemed as if he was scared.

"Listen man, I understand what you saying but honestly I think you just need to have an honest conversation with your girl. Express how you feel, get the reassurance that you need, but most importantly have a talk with yourself. Make sure that you are truly ready to date someone with a child because that's a lot. Have you met her kid yet?" Markell asked as he and Quincy walked to the back of the gym to put the basketballs away

"Nah not yet." He answered, "Her dad invited me to a competition she got this coming Saturday so imma pop out and meet her then. You think I should apologize to ole boy?" Quincy looked at him 

"Hell yeah, it doesn't need to be no big sappy dramatic ass apology, but you should definitely let him know that you didn't have any ill intentions behind the question you asked."

Quincy laughed, "You a fool, but I appreciate you for keeping it a hundred with me man."

"Aye, I don't know no other way to be." Markell dapped him up as they both prepared to leave the gym

It was Friday afternoon and practice had ended a little over twenty minutes ago, after a rigorous workout and non stop drills with the boys, the men were both ready to go their separate ways, go home, and indulge in a much needed shower and nap.

"That's exactly why I fuck with you man, but imma keep you updated on everything. Maybe once everything settles down, I can introduce you to my girl." Quincy suggested as they walked outside to the parking lot

"Sounds like a plan Q." Markell nodded his head, "I'll catch up with you on Monday, have a safe weekend."

The men said their goodbyes before getting into their cars and leaving the school's parking lot. As Markell turned onto the main road in the direction of his house, his phone started ringing. He looked down at the caller id to see Jordan calling him. Without hesitation, he swiftly answered the call as it connected to his car's Bluetooth.

"Wassup Jordan." He answered

"Man you gotta get over here to Noah's spot." Jordan sighed heavily into the phone