Chapter 2: The Past

Noah

December 2012

Fourteen year old Noah pulled the hood to his all black Northface jacket over his head before quickly stuffing his hands in his pockets attempting to keep them warm. It was early December and below 60 degrees in Atlanta, Georgia. Too cold to be walking home from school but here he was walking side by side with Domonique.

"It's cold as shit out here." Domonique complained as he smoked on the blunt he had lit as soon as they stepped off the schools campus

Noah nodded his head in agreement. Although he was born and raised in Atlanta, he would never get used to the cold weather that touched the city during the winter season.

"Aye, Ace!" A loud shout poured over their shoulders as they walked the five blocks to their neighborhood

Domonique ashed out his blunt and slipped it into his pocket before turning around and coming face to face with the nigga who addressed him by his street name.

"What?" Domonique asked bluntly

Noah stood beside Dom as they both looked at the nigga who stood in front of them. Omar. He was a twenty something year old crack fiend and he had no shame in it, he stood before them dressed in a black hoodie, black sweat pants that were damn near falling off him, and white socks and black slides accompanied his feet.

"I was trying to see if I could cop something." He spoke quickly as he rocked back and forth on his feet

Noah couldn't tell if Omar was trying to stay warm or if he was coming down from a high. He looked over at Domonique to see that his jaw was clenched and he had his hand on the gun that sat on his waistband.

"Nigga is you fucking stupid?!" He spat "Have I ever sold to yo ass in broad daylight, the fuck you think this is?"

Noah smirked. Although Dom started selling drugs a little over a year ago, he was popular on the streets. He came up fast, but he wasn't a dummy. He knew who to serve and when and where to serve them. He was precise and particular about how he moved and Noah admired his wits.

Omar laughed nervously before pushing his dreads out of his face revealing the dark circles around his eyes

"Yeah I know, I know. I just need to cop Ace, I ain't been high since yesterday." He looked around avoiding eye contact with Dom

"That's not my fuckin' problem, I don't serve your ass in the day time, catch me tonight. Now get the fuck out my face." Domonique said irritated that he was even being approached

"P-please." Omar begged not taking no for an answer "I got the money right here." He pulled a wrinkled twenty dollar bill out his pocket

Domonique sighed in frustration. Noah noticed that his hand was still on his gun. He knew that his friend had a horrible temper and he didn't want to see him hurt Omar, but he also knew that Dom would.

"Play it cool." He whispered to Domonique

Domonique looked at him and shook his head, attempting to calm himself down.

"Out of respect for my brother, I wont take this gun and beat your fucking face in. You want your powder? Come see me tonight, end of discussion." He said calmly before turning around and walking up the street

Noah looked at Omar as Domonique walked away. He looked as if he was about to cry as he shoved the twenty dollars back into his pocket and simply sat on the ground. Noah shook his head, he didn't understand how a drug had so much power over a person.