Chapter 16: Missing You

Markell

Summer 2008

"Ugh!" Ten year old Markell yelled out in frustration as he threw his basketball to the bottom of the basketball hoop, "I give up, none of my shots are going in!"

He frowned and turned around to make his way back into the house. Markell figured he would call it quits and go inside to watch Dragon Ball Z for the rest of the day. Although he loved basketball, he didn't want anything to do with the sport at the moment.

"Aht aht, where do you think you going?" His father Kenneth asked him from the porch

He had been quietly sitting and observing his son and saw how easily he was ready to give up after not making a few shots.

"Back inside the house, I'm done with basketball for the day." Markell answered as he looked at his dad

Kenneth chuckled before shaking his head, "You miss a few shots and you ready to give up?"

Markell scratched his head, "I'm just frustrated dad, I keep missing simple shots that I know I can make."

Kenneth stood up from the white rocking chair he sat in and made his way off the porch. His 6 foot 2 frame towered over his son as he approached him.

"It's okay to be frustrated, Markell. But it's not okay to give up, never give up. Grab the ball and try again, let's go." He looked at his child and then at the basketball that sat near the basketball hoop

Markell sucked his teeth, "Man come on dad, I don't wanna embarrass myself again."

Kenneth looked at his son and sighed, he knew that Markell took after him in many ways and being stubborn was one of them. The father and son duo would go back and forth with each other every now and then but for the most part they were very close. Markell looked up to and admired his dad and Kenneth cherished both of his sons but he and Markell bonded over basketball. When they weren't seeing eye to eye, Kenneth felt like he was going back and forth with himself. Markell was like his carbon copy and at times like now, he hated it.

"Boy, suck your teeth at me again and imma knock them out your mouth. Go get the ball." He stated calmly yet assertively

Markell knew better than to go against his father, so he did as he was told.

"Yes sir." He mumbled as he walked over to the ball

"Come on, shoot again. This time, bend your knees a little bit and get a good handle on the ball. Ball handling is everything Kel, if you can't handle the basketball you're not going to be able to effectively play the game." Kenneth coached his son

Markell nodded his head and did as he was told. He followed his father's guidance and for the first time that afternoon, the basketball swiftly went into the hoop.

"Yes! I did it!" He jumped in excitement, "Thank you dad!" He smiled at his father

Kenneth smiled and nodded his head, "See, just takes a little bit of patience and guidance. I don't ever want to hear you or see you giving up again, you hear? Quitting is for losers and you damn sure ain't no loser."

Markell nodded his head, "Yeah I hear you, I ain't a loser." He repeated

"That's my boy!" Kenneth dapped hands with his son before pulling him into a hug and kissing his forehead "My future NBA star."

Markell smiled, although he was only ten years old, he already knew he wanted a career as a professional basketball player and his father supported him and his dream. Kenneth spent a lot of time helping Markell perfect his God given gift and giving him all of the support he needed to excel at basketball. Markell knew that making it to the NBA would make his father beyond proud of him and he couldn't wait to not only make his dreams come true but also repay his father for his love and support.