Chapter 20: Lovebirds

Markell

February 2016

"Yo Markell, good game last night man, you were on fire!"

"Kels! You did the damn thing last night! We going to the state championships!"

"Scored twenty points by yourself? You MK the Great for a reason! Keep going crazy nigga!"

Seventeen year old Markell grinned and thanked his peers as he walked down the crowded hallway of Gordon H. Highschool. He had a big smile plastered on his face as people congratulated him on the basketball game the school won last night.The game was against their rival school and the ending score was 67 to 50. As usual, Markell put his all into the game and it showed from the twenty points he scored solely by himself and the overall win his team took home. Winning last night's game meant that they were going to the state championships and Markell was excited as hell.

"I'm so proud of you baby." Markells girlfriend Amirah said with a smile as they walked hand and hand down the hallway

Markell and Amirah began dating over a year ago at the start of their junior year of high school. They were now high school seniors and deeply in love with one another. Although they were just teenagers, the bond they shared was indescribable and unbreakable. They were friends before they became romantically involved with one another which made their bond tighter. Markell was able to confide in Amirah about the death of his father which said a lot being that he didn't even open up to his own mama about it and Amirah was able to share her deepest darkest secrets with Markell as well, she knew he'd always be a shoulder for her to lean on. They both lost their virginities to one another a few months after they started dating, and they've been locked in ever since.

Markell smiled, making his deep dimples appear, "You should be proud of the team too, I couldn't have done it without them." He said as they approached the locker they shared

Amirah smirked. Markell was always humble, he never liked having all the attention on him. Everyone at school knew Kel could ball and would eventually make it to the pro's, he'd been playing basketball since he could walk. Even the teachers knew he would make it into the NBA one day. With him being a senior, college scouts from over the east and west coast were already looking to sign him to their teams and offer him full ride scholarships, fresh out of high school, he was just that good. But Markell never got a big head about all the attention he got, he remained the same humble, laid back dude he always was. That's what Amirah loved about him, hell that's why she fell in love with him.

"Baby you scored twenty points last night! Aren't you proud of yourself?" Amirah asked him in excitement

He chuckled, showing off his perfectly straight white teeth. "Of course I'm proud of myself Amirah, but I'm more proud of the team. We did that shit together." Markell opened up the locker and pulled out his Physics textbook.

Amirah looked at him and smiled, Markell really did embody the statement "There's no I in team". If he was winning then the whole team was winning, he had so much love for all his teammates especially since they've been balling together since freshman year. Amirah knew Markell would take them all to the NBA with him if he could.

"So humble. I love you." Amirah looked up at him and kissed his cheek

"I love you too, my mirror mirror on the wall, the prettiest girl of them all." He kissed her forehead

Amirah smiled wide, showcasing her pearly white teeth. She loved when Markell called her by the nickname he made up by twisting the old rhyme. It made her feel special, he made her feel special.