Chapter 9: Potential

Domonique

April 2011

"Our mama's gonna kill us if they find out we skipped school today." Thirteen year old Markell expressed as him and twelve year old Domonique walked the aisles in the corner store that was located in their neighborhood

Dom waved him off, "Man they ain't gonna find out. Besides, I ain't feel like going today and neither did you."

It was the end of April and the boys were starting to feel burnout from the school year, especially Domonique. He found himself having a hard time focusing on the 7th grade when he had so much shit going on within his home environment. How could he focus in class when his stomach was growling because he didn't eat the night before? He just needed a break from school, one day to just roam the Southside carefree, and that's exactly what he did with Markell today. Domonique knew Noah wouldn't dare skip school so he didn't ask him, and he didn't want to bother asking Jordan being that he had not been himself since his mama passed, so he asked Markell and of course he was down with it.

"Only reason I ain't go is because we don't have basketball practice this afternoon and off of the strength that you asked me." Markell explained as he grabbed a bag of hot Cheetos off the shelf

Dom laughed, "Man whatever, you ain't go because you didn't want to go. Simple as that. I ain't beg you to skip with me." he grabbed a bag of nacho cheese Doritos before walking to the candy aisle

It was now 3 in the afternoon and the boys spent most of the day at Markell's house playing his Xbox, talking shit, and eating the leftovers from the dinner his mom made the previous night. They left his house about an hour ago just to hang out in the neighborhood and they found themselves at the corner store wanting a snack.

"You know I couldn't leave you hanging, I'm always with whatever." Markell responded honestly as he joined Dom in the candy aisle. He had a Sprite in his hand for himself, and a pink lemonade Brisk for Dom

Dom smiled as he reached for a bag of skittles, "That's why I love you nigga."

"I know it." Markell boasted before he grabbed a pack of Starburst "I love you too man. Let's pay for this shit and get outta here."

Domonique nodded his head and walked to the register with Markell following after him. They placed their snacks on the counter as the middle aged Arabian man rang them up.

"$8.88." The man announced their total

Dom reached in his pocket for the five dollar bill he had been holding on to for a few weeks now. He earned it by helping his neighbor Ms. Lori bring her grocery bags into her apartment. She was an older lady and had a hard time getting around and couldn't lift heavy items, so Dom helped her out when he could. Before he could hand his money over to the clerk, Markell stopped him.

"Nah, I got you Dom." He said as he handed the clerk a ten dollar bill

"Thank you." Dom said quietly as he watched the clerk put their snacks in a black bag before giving Markell his change

Domonique didn't want to verbally say it or maybe he didn't know how to say it, but he felt awkward. Markell always looked out for him and he really appreciated it but sometimes he felt like a charity case, like now. Dom knew that he and Markell came from two different financial backgrounds, Markells mom was a nurse, she made good money and was able to give Markell and his brother a weekly allowance. Meanwhile, Domonique's mom was a waitress at Waffle House and made just enough to make ends meet. Dom felt like there was no way in the world Markell would be able to understand his struggle and although he loved Markell dearly and was happy they were friends, deep down inside a small part of him envied Markell.