Chapter 18: Poison

Domonique 

And I don't want no more love, I feel it's poison

Late at night I can't sleep 'cause I hear voices

Tellin' me I'm too deep, quit tryna force it (Uh, yeah, yeah, yeah)

Got too much stuck on my chest, can't get it off of me

I put my demons to rest but they been stalking me

Lord knows I tried my best, I gave it all of me (Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

Domonique bobbed his head to music as he sat in his all black Tahoe smoking the finest marijuana money could buy. "Poison" by Rod Wave played lowly from the radio and Dom found himself relating to the lyrics as he listened to them. After calling it quits with Morgan, he really didn't want anything to do with love. He felt like he gave it all to Morgan just for shit not to work out. In his eyes, love was dangerous and it tried to kill him, like poison. He hadn't spoken to her since he left her apartment over a week ago and that bothered him. As bad as he wanted to reach out and check on her, he knew it was best if he didn't.

"Fuck love." He mumbled to himself as the song came to an end and he looked across the street

It was a little after eleven pm and Dom was ducked off in his car like a thief in the night, observing. He was on his stomping grounds, the Southside projects keeping an eye on Kapo, Scoop, and his traphouse. He needed to lay eyes on them and see how they were running things when he wasn't around.  Dom made sure be discreet so no one knew that he was in the neighborhood which is exactly what he wanted. He had been parked in his car for about an hour and hadn't seen any snake shit take place from the two men, a few sales here and there but nothing alarming. He squinted his eyes as he watched Kapo, Scoop, and two of the corner boys standing outside of the traphouse shooting dice.

"Sloppy ass niggas." He cussed "They so into that dice game, if a muthafucka was to run up on them now they dumb asses wouldn't even see it coming."

Dom shook his head at the scene that he was watching, he was disgusted to say the least. Within the past few days he thought about cutting all of the niggas who worked for him loose. He didn't know who he could trust and that fucked with him, it had him paranoid and his guard was always up. He figured it'd be best for him to just run his drug cartel by himself to eliminate those problems. Either that or crack down harder on the niggas who worked for him, weed out all the sneaky muthafuckas. Either way, something had to give. Dom's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of his cell phone ringing. He picked it up to see he had an incoming facetime call from Aaliyah and answered the phone with no hesitation.

"What's wrong Lele?" He called her by her childhood nickname as soon as her face appeared on the screen

Aaliyah smiled, "Nothing Dom, I can't call and check on my big brother?"

Domonique smirked. Being that it was now September, Aaliyah was back at the University of South Carolina embarking on her sophomore year of college.

"I ain't say all that, you just usually don't call this late." Dom looked up from his phone and across the street at the men before looking back at his phone, "You need some money?"

Aaliyah shook her head, "No Domonique, you just deposited money into my account last week, I'm good. I'm up studying for an exam I have next week. I miss you, just wanted to check in on you."

Dom smiled, something he had rarely done over the past few weeks.

"Preciate that, I'm good Liyah. Working." He replied