thirty-two

Before we start this chapter, I'd like to mention that I have very little experience with law (please ignore if anything is incorrect or has been modified to fit the narrative, I am trying my best)

Enjoy the last chapter, it's quite long.

One day left until the trial. I was counting the hours, minutes, seconds. All leading to that paramount moment of either resolution or failure.
I watched the clock above the professor's projector screen slowly tick away, so painfully slow. My pen tapped impatiently against my notebook, until it at last hit the mark of twelve o'clock. The bell rang and I let out a breath. Around me everyone was packing up their bags, whisking away to get their lunch before the dreadful course of classes continued. As I gathered my stuff I felt their eyes on me, curious perhaps, scared? The news of my prosecution against Dae-hyun had of course made it to the press, how could it not? It was deemed one of the most anticipated events of the year by the media and Twitter. I found it hilarious to be truthful. Finally, I wasn't the only one getting stares; people also stayed within a fair distance of Dae-hyun. He was teetering towards a sentence after all, and a pretty serious one too. The police had gotten to him after my statement and after filing a report, he'd been bailed out of course. By his dad and his riches. Even after all this he still showed up at school, determined to not let it get to him, after all he was innocent in his eyes. He had nothing to fear and nothing to prove. I bit my tongue every time I passed by him, and he glanced at my fading blue bruise. I couldn't quite read his expression, but I knew it sent involuntary chills down my spine.

Jungkook stood right behind me through it all. And because Jungkook did, so did HYBE. It was the only thing keeping me upright and sane. I wasn't alone this time. I had hands behind me to steady me and to catch me if I fell.

Young-soo strolled towards me, grasping the straps of his backpack, and smiling at me through his glasses, his eyes always disappearing into moons. This was the class that we shared.
"You ready?" He asked, implying heading to our lunch table. I shoved my last notebook down my backpack as I spoke.
"You know what, just go ahead. I'm going to go to the restroom really quick, I'll be there in a minute." I said and he left with an all right. Bidding the professor goodbye, I made my way towards the woman's restroom down the long halls of my school. It was a beautiful school; I had always admired the architecture that went behind the arches and sleek interior. Most people were already in the canteen or down the street to eat it seemed, as the halls were empty. It was quiet and only my steps echoed emptily into the hall.
I turned a corner and suddenly bumped into someone, on impact both of us letting out a surprised sound. Staggering back, I glanced up to see who the mystery person was.

"Y/n." Dae-hyun said, sounding both surprised and relieved. My smile quickly faded and was instead replaced by a sour expression. I tried to quicken my pace to evade him, but he gripped my shoulder and hauled me back. I was only trying to make it to the restroom, and I couldn't even be let alone then. I was so fucking tired of the whole universe.
"Hey, don't go," Dae-hyun huffed and squeezed my shoulder, staring down at me.
"Let go of me." I grunted and shook his hand off. I glared at him and squared my jaw. "Don't make me scream." And he had to audacity to groan and pinch the bridge of his nose. I wasn't a fucking kid, and I wouldn't be lectured like one.
"Fuck, just listen to me for once." He groaned exasperatedly. I crossed my arms huffed a laugh.
"Why? I have listened plenty, I don't want to hear it."
"Because," he sighed irritated and gritted his teeth, "Because I'm giving you the chance to cancel this whole thing."
"And why would I do that? You don't get to act like you're the victim here." I scoffed and shook my head in disbelief.
"Because I care about you. You're still my friend." He said softly, but his eyes were cold and distant. He didn't mean a single word, instead preying on my vulnerability. And I had to admit, for a moment it did hurt. He was my friend and I used to think he cared about me. Moreover, it was mocking, and I felt like the stupidest person on earth for trusting him. I sunk the lump in my throat, concealing my devastated frown and raised my chin.
"Oh please, don't try any of that now. It's disgusting." I hissed, the tears stinging harshly behind my eyes, but I kept them at bay. I couldn't cry in front of him.
"No, Y/n it's not." He growled, his demeanor changing the moment he knew I wasn't moving. "Don't forget. You were the one to hit me first. You are the assaulter here. How do you think that's going to make you look, huh? A violent woman, that's what!"
"So what?!" I shrieked and laughed in his face, it was high pitched and mocking in a way that made me feel unfamiliar with myself. Maybe I really had become crazy these past months, as some people liked to claim. I was so far out. "I don't fucking care how it's going to make me look. I want to see your career ruined, just as you ruined mine!" I could hear him mumble curses, his eyes burning with flames. A bitter aftertaste lingered in my mouth, and I curled my lip back.
"You're a mess. It's pathetic." I sneered, looking him up and down. "See you at court." I noted lastly before walking away and turning a corner.