Jake Oettinger

"Remind me again why we are doing this?" Jake asked you

"Because I've had the same pads since high school, and now I'm almost 25," you explained. You and Jake had been friends for quite a while, you were close in school but once you graduated you didn't realize you would both end up in Dallas. Your friendship remained strong, having the connection of being goalies in college, but little did he know you had a crush on him. You wanted a change from your classic white set of Bauer pads and wanted a change, now that you were going to be living in Dallas for work, you figured you would have to match the team you would be supporting your friend play for.

As the two of you walked around the store Jake tried to keep a low profile, he wasn't one for being recognized outside an arena setting, he wasn't big on attention.

"What exactly are you looking for Y/N?"

"I don't know Jake, but I'll know when I see the design," you smiled. One of the store workers approached you asking if you needed assistance but you quickly shooed them away. You walked to the back wall where all the different sets of custom pads were displayed, carefully looking for a set that would fit you that contained the colors you wanted. You were looking at some green pads when Jake pointed out a pair.

"Y/n/n look at these," he picked up the set, "and they are your size,"

"Oh, those are perfect J," you smiled approaching him, "lemme ask if I can try them on," you left Jake alone with the pads taking them off the wall. You were fortunate enough to have your skates in the car with you, so you wouldn't have to borrow a pair. The employee gave you permission to put the pads on. You sent Jake out to the car to grab your skates while you slipped on a pair of pants at the store. As Jake came back a smile was shining across his face as saw you waiting on the bench for him. You tried to hide your blush, but couldn't.

"Here Y/N, you want help,"

"I got it-"

"No, I insist," he kneeled down to tie your skate for you.

"Jake really I'm fine," but he didn't listen he tied your skate anyway. You put on the pads as he sat down next to you. You took one look in the mirror and fell in love with the set of CCMs. You were taking a picture in the mirror when you felt a hand on your lower back, sending chills down your spine, looking to see Jake behind you as you took the picture.

"They look amazing Y/N, you look amazing in them," he smiled. You turned yourself around to face him.

"What?" you were stunned.

"I mean the pads look good that's all nothing else," he cleared his throat quickly taking his hand off your back, and stuffing his hands into his pockets. He was acting weird,

"Yeah okay... do you want to go find the matching gloves for me?" you asked him.

"Sure," he quickly answered already walking away. You sat down in the pads giving yourself a little bit of time to process what was happening, was THE Jake Oettinger, your best friend, the guy you liked, showing signs of feeling the same? You couldn't dwell in your thoughts for too long because he was already back with the gloves.

"They aren't exact but I think they would match nicely, compliment the set nicely, I don't know," he rambled.

"Well, they look nice, let me try them on, do you want to help?" You felt bad for shutting down his help earlier, and kind of turning him away, and besides, if there was any chance he liked you back it would be good to embrace it.

"Gladly," he smiled. He held up the blocker as you slid your hand into it, and did the same with the glove. You looked in the mirror once more admiring yourself.

"You have a good eye, Oettinger, they look great," you smiled.

"Yeah they do..." he said as his voice trailed off. You sat down once again because the skates were hurting your feet, he sat down next to you looking down at the ground.

"Jake what's up, your mood has been bouncing around all day, is something wrong?" you asked.

"No nothing is wrong, I'm actually great, having a good time, yup just me and my best friend Y/N," that last bit sounded annoying to him.

"Seriously what's wrong," you said.

"I like you Y/N okay, and you look amazing in those pads, and even without them you always look amazing without even trying, it's hard when you like your best friend and don't want to ruin anything because they don't feel the same," he blurted out.

"You do?"

"Forget it,"

"No no no, because Jake I like you too, I didn't think you wanted a relationship with traveling and stuff," you said.

"You're traveling with me so why wouldn't I?" He brought up a good point.

"I don't know, I don't want to distract you," you said beginning to take the pads off. You continued unstrapping the pads as you sat in a moment of silence. Once you got the pads off you just sat there with your face cupped in your hands with your elbows resting on your knees.

"Y/N, you could never distract me, because you are always somewhere in my mind," Jake said, "here I'll get your skates," he kneeled down at your feet and began untying the skates.

"So what does that mean?"

"It means I want you to be my girlfriend," he smiled up at you, "so will you?"

"Gladly," you said teasing him from earlier.