Chapter 3

"Sometimes you just have to die a little inside in order to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you."
  - The Phoenix Bird
  "Can beauty come out of ashes?"
  - Celine Dion

  3 years later

  It was my Senior year of high school, I was 17 years old. Only me and Scarlet was left to finally finish school. To graduate. Peter graduated last year with a few of our older pack members, just leaving us girls and a few others. Michael was one of those that was still with us. He had flunked out last year, over what had happened with Larry, his adopted dad. He got badly ill and it took a lot from Michael since he was the only family he had. But my grandfather had helped him though it all with the help of my uncle's. I visited him a lot during the summer when I could.
  As I walking into the school with my cousin and best friend along my side, we went to our first 3 classes until it was our lunch time.
  By the time it was lunch, we went and got our food and sat at our usual table by the windows. Somewhat away from people. Just like it was 3 years ago, no one fucked with us mostly because of me. Their Luna. Yes, Luna. My brother Peter finally became alpha and that was making me the Luna. But I was always the Luna when I was born. Just like my mother and grandmother was.
  They still listened to my father and mother, mostly my mother. Something about her, it scared everyone. And with me, it was worse. Scarlet always says, she feels bad once I find my mate. Which I still haven't just yet.
  Or have I.
  About 20 minutes into lunch, I was about to get up and throw away my trash when a strong smell had came and hit me. I looked every where in the café until I had found it.
  A young man was coming through the café doors, looking right at me. I was in love. He was gorgeous. Tall, dark skin, muddy brown eyes, with shoulder length auburn locks.
  I had gasp making everyone look at me then to where I was looking at. Once I came to, I had dropped my tray back on the table and took off through the kitchen doors to get out of the café. All I could think about was, I had to get out of there. This couldn't be happening to me now. It was my last year of high school and I wanted it to be over with, without a boy by my side. I wanted to be the first of my family as Luna to graduated without having a mate.
  Peter found his mate his junior year of high school. She was a rogue and the very first day of school they had clicked. And once he had became the alpha that year, he had made her move in with us. Yea I know, move in right away. Just like how my father done my mother. But they slept in other rooms, well not my brother and this rogue. He couldn't be away from her. Her name was Zendaya Lamarkeyon. Her last name was a mouth full and it was hard to say. Even the teachers had trouble saying it.
  Once I had made it away from the café, I headed towards my next class which was Spanish. My parents made me take it, which only made me 'grr' the subject. I wasn't that good, well I was but I hated the class. It was so annoying. But today of all days, I was glad to be in it, just to get away from my mate.
  Or so I thought.
  About 5-10 minutes later when the bell had rung, students started to come in and that's when the smell had hit me once again. It smelled so good, like lavender and lilacs mix together. Matter of fact is smelled just like my favorite perfume, 'Sexiness'.
  When he came into the classroom, just like before, he looked my way. But this time, I couldn't run away. Well I could just jump through the window but that would look stupid and wrong to do. So I am just gonna have to fight it. Or least tried to.

  "Class, we have a new student with us today. His name is Gavin DeGraw." The teacher had said.
  "Alpha Gavin DeGraw, from the Blue Bloods pack." Gavin had said.

  Woah, he's an alpha. Dear lord Jesus, why now goddess. But he's so ugh, stop it.
  As I looked back down on my notebook, I heard him sit down right next to me. I took a deep breath when he did and tried not to think of things due to him and the mating stuff.
  But that didn't help when he tapped me on my shoulder.
  I looked up at him and saw his gorgeous pearly white smile, muddy brown eyes. God if it wasn't the fact that we were in school, I would have jump his bone right about now.

  "Yes?" I had said after a few seconds of staring.
  "Hi, um do you mind if we partner up?" He had asked me.

  The teacher must had said something about partnering up that I didn't hear.

  "Yea, sure." I had said as I went back to my notebook.

  About a few moments, the teacher passed out a packet for us to do within a weeks worth of time. It wasn't enough I hated this class that the teacher had to do this and now I am partners with my so called mate that we haven't even told each other just yet.

  "Zara, can you tell us how number one is said please?" The teacher had asked me.

  Everyone had looked at me. I was nervous as it can be. I looked at the packet and read what number one had said.
  1.) Lifetime of food is a journey full of life.
  Really that made no since. Or did it?

  "La vida de la comida es un viaje lleno de vida." I had said in Spanish. I felt weird saying it.
  "Good job. Now, Gavin can you do number 2 for us?" She had asked.

  I looked at number 2 and it had read; I'll achieve in life the best that I can.

  "Lograré en la vida lo mejor que pueda." He had said.
  "Very good. Try to work better on the 'La vida'. I know speaking Spanish and knowing what it mean is hard but its part of life. I expect this packet to be done by next Friday." She had said.

  I rolled my eyes and began working on what I know. Which wasn't very much. I only know some and most of these have the same wording just changed different.
  About 20 minutes into class, I had the 1st two pages done and when I looked over I saw he was on the 3rd page. I was shocked. I was so hurt that he knew Spanish that I didn't even notice that he was looking at me.

  "Zara, is it?" He had asked.
  "Luna to you." I had said.
  "Luna?"
  "Yes, this is my school and my pack." I had said.
  "Very intriguing." He says. "For a mate that smells so good, is already a Luna."
  "Excuse me?" I had asked.
  "I know you felt or smelled the mating bond in the café. Is that why you had ran out of there so fast." He had said.

  Well damn, I guess he was smart enough to know that's what it was. I bit my lip before saying anything. But before I did, say anything, the teacher had came by us.

  "Zara, the head master wants to talk to you." She had said. "Its about your Luna duties."
  "Of course it is. Mother and father must be leaving out of town." I had said as I got up with my stuff.
  "Do you want me to come with you, since I am the alpha. I don't want my Luna/mate alone." Gavin had said.
  "I'll be fine." I said at first. But the teacher had spoke.
  "Mate? Luna he should go with you since he's the alpha and your mate." She says.

  I growled at her but nodded. He got up, gathered his things and walked me to the head master's office. When we got there, Ms. Gibson was typing away on her computer when Gavin and I walked in. She put a finger up to tell us one moment then looked at us. She was shocked to see Gavin was with me.

  "Zara, why is he with you? I only asked for you." She had said.
  He of course growled. But I rolled my eyes. "Blame the teacher for that. She over heard that alpha Gavin here, is my mate and suggested that he comes with me." I had said.
  "Alpha and mate? Wait alpha Gavin DeGraw from Blue Bloods pack?"
  "Yes, ma'am." He says.
  "Well its a pleasure you being here." She said to him the bow her head for a second. Then looked back at me. "Your parents had called and left a message for you. Saying," she started.
  "Let me guess, they are going out of town and won't be back for a few days to a week. Am I correct?" I said.
  "Yes, m'lady. And they left alpha Peter and you Luna in charge until then."
  "Who's alpha Peter?" Gavin asked.
  "My older brother." I had said looking at him then back to her. "Give me a second." I had said then sat down and closed my eyes.

  I went to pack link those are left at school that's part of the pack.

  "My parents left for a few days to a week. Alpha Peter and I are in charge until then. So behave y'alls self." I had growled the last part.

  I reopened my eyes and saw Gavin looking at me. He looked worried.

  "What? I had to pack link who's in my pack that's here. It take's a lot on me. I'm still learning how to do a group at a time." I had told him.

  He had nodded at me and leaned against the wall. He looked bored but so cute doing it.

  "So from now on, anything comes up, I don't care where I'm at, pack link with me." I told her.

  Yes, I had told her to pack link with me. Over time in the past 16 years, the moon goddess had gave us the chance to talk to others through pack link if were close to the same radius. Other than mates or other packs kinda. Only if they are rogues. You still have to mate/mark with your mate to talk to their pack.
  She had nodded and handed me a folders of paper work since I was in charge now. I had looked it over, knowing some of it. Mostly the funding. My grandfather and parents were still giving the school money to have it run.

  "What's that?" Gavin had asked.
  "Paper work on the funds. Her grandfather and parents fund this school to keep it running since its on both their lands." Ms. Gibson told him.
  "Why?" He asked.
  "Because the government doesn't give this school enough to fend for us at months at a time. They think were poor enough that we don't need that much money. We only get so much a month, so my grandfather and parents help by donating so much a month as well. Even though were some what rich, its still isn't enough." I had said as I closed the folder.

  It was quiet for a moment while I was looking over another folder until Gavin had spoke again.

  "Here's 100k." He says as he signs off on a check and hands it to me.
  "What's this?" I had asked.
  "A check to help. This should cover at least a few months." He said.
  "But how? Why?"
  "You just said that this school needs money and well I'm loaded. Thanks to my grandparents and parents. When they died, I got a lot of money back from all 4 of them. I have no use for it. I have everything I need at home. The house is paid in full and I'm still making money on the side with my helping hands and I get a check twice a month from their deaths. So I have enough money to help out. And since your my mate, I'm happy to help."

  I was about to tear it up but when Ms. Gibson put her hand on my hand to stop me, I gave it to her. We do need the money.

  "Put it in the bank. And Friday, do the dance. Even though we cancelled it. I'll go to the office and announce that the dance is back on." I had said as I handed her the folders.
  "Yes, m'lady."

  I stood up and headed towards the door. When Gavin put his hand on my shoulder. The electricity going through me, making me all hot and bothered. I purred when I felt it. But stopped myself.

  I turned to look at him. "What?" I had asked.
  "What dance?"
  "Our prom. It was supposed to been a few weeks ago but we didn't have enough in our budget. And our gym is big enough for the school to have our prom." I had said. "Oh Ms. Gibson, the theme is going to be galaxy colors. 'Out of this world' I should say."
  "Yes, m'lady. I'll have everyone in the staff to get on it."
  "Good, I'll have Maria come and help as well." I had said.

  Maria was one of our helps at home at the pack house. Since we're not kids anymore she hasn't have to work 3x as hard like she use to.
  After that, I had walked off her office with Gavin behind me still. I rolled my eyes, wish he would go back to class now. That's when I brought it up.

  "You can go back to class now. You don't have to keep following me. Nothing is gonna happen to me." I told him.
  "I know I can but I choose not you."
  I stopped walking and turned to him, making him only inches away from my face. Where I could lean in and kiss him any moment. "Look, I know how to take care of myself. Also you can clearly see I'm running this school as I'm going to it. I am in charge of it." I told him.

  As I was talking to him, someone had tried to talk to me through pack link. I put my finger up for him and opened up my pack link.

  "What?"
  "Luna, there's a fight in the café with the rogues." It was Carl that was reaching for me.
  "I'll be there in a second." I had said.

  Carl was one of the young one that just started here and one of the youngest to change as well but we keep him out of the loop until he's older. I looked at Gavin and handed him my bag.

  "Hold this for me. I have to deal with the rogues in the café." I had said.
  "Wait rogues?" He asked.
  "Yes, we have some that goes here. Only the children though. They don't like being here with the humans so that like to start fights with them sometimes." I had said.

  Then took off in a run to get to the café. Gavin ran behind me as well but he couldn't keep up with me. But once I got there, I saw 3 rogues actually fighting each other in human form thank god.

  "Enough!" I growled as I pushes them away from each other. Knocking them on the ground. "Y'all really do this just to piss me off don't y'all?"
  "No, Luna." One of the boys had said bowing his head down.

  One of the boys got up and was about to attack when I grabbed him by his throat.

  "What don't you get enough is enough!" I growled again while making my hand tighter. "I am in charge here now. My parents our out of town for a few days. And if I keep seeing this shit, y'all will be gone until they come back. Do I make myself clear." I had growled.

  The one I had in my hand, he nodded his head and I let him go. The other two bowed their heads.

  "Good, next time it won't be so pretty. Now back to class or get your food."

  As they done what they were told, I had walked back towards the office to make the announcement. As I got there, the staff bowed to me and made room for me to do what I needed to do. Gavin was still following me like a lost puppy dog. When I got to the intercom I made the announcement.

  "Attention all class mates and teachers. Thanks to a huge donation, this Friday after school, our prom is back up and going. So ladies find your prom dresses fast. The theme is Galaxy 'Out of this world'. If you all have any questions you know where to find me." I had said.

  After that, I went to my last class which thank god, he wasn't in it. I had to be away from him and think of everything for Friday.