Chapter 26

Chai got scolded for giving the children real money, especially since they started crying when they couldn't figure out how to share out two pound coins and a fifty pence equally.

I ended up doing a "magic trick" that my dad showed me last week to replace Kraisee's 50p with a pound coin I fished out of my purse.

"You owe me 50p," I say as we walk to the bus stop on our way back home.

"I'll pay you back on your wedding day," he says.

"If we're still friends then," I say rolling my eyes. "What if my husband doesn't like me having guy friends?"

"I thought P'Bunga was going to marry P'Chai?" I hear Prija say to Nin.

"I think my siblings have joined our shippers?" Chai whispers to me, smirking. "Should I start shopping for engagement rings?"

Sometimes I can't tell if he's serious or not, "Shut up."

He ignores me, "Yeah I think your husband would be the no guy friends type, you like the territorial types."

Is he talking about himself or the someone else?

"Did you know back in the day you could get legally married at 16?" Chai says. "It's 18 now, but in Thailand legally its 20 but you can get married at 17 if you have your parent's consent."

"Why do you know all of this?"

"In Malaysia, Muslim girls can get married at 16 and Muslim guys have to be 18, but non-muslims like us have to wait until we're 18. So I think back home is the best bet."

"For who?" I ask as we get on the 339 bus.
"Me obviously," he says.

"You want to get married at 17?" I ask incredulously.

"Why not?" he shrugs. "You've seen my place back home, we're high class back there."

Chai's family run a very large chain of restaurants and three shopping malls back in Thailand. Dad is always wondering why his family chose to come to London, but Chai told me that before Aunty Phueng married Uncle Kasemchai, she wanted to live in England, so after Chai was old enough to speak Thai fluently they moved to England. Since they don't actually need the money, Uncle Kasemchai just works part-time as a taxi driver because he's bored. Chai made me swear to secrecy because he didn't want to attract "leeches". In exchange he buys me whatever I want.
"What's that got to do with marrying young?"

"I don't need to worry about financial stability," he shrugs as we sit down at the back of the bus with the three children.

"So the only thing stopping you from getting married to some random Thai girl is the law?"

"Doesn't have to be a Thai girl," he shrugs. "I'm not picky."

"What about Cindy?" I challenge.
A look of disgust forms on his face. "Not a fan of dumb people."

"Dan-ah," I suggest.
"She hates my guts," he retorts.

I keep listing different girls from our class until its our stop, "I thought you weren't picky," I say tired out.
"You just didn't bring up the right girl," he says walking ahead of us.

"So there is a Miss Right," I say triumphantly.

"Yep."

"Who is she?" I ask excitedly. "Is she in our class or is she older than us? Does she even going to our school? Do I know her?"

"Yes, she younger than me but not you, yes and yes," he lists off his answers.

"But the only girls left in our class are Muslim," I ask confused. "They don't even talk to you."

"She's not Muslim," Thai says as we cross the road. Kraisee took his hand, Nin took mine and Prija took Aunty Phuengs'.

"But that only leaves..." me.

When he reaches the other end of the road he turns around to look at me, letting go of Kraisee, "Compatibility wise, we're pretty good."

Before I can respond he jumps over the wall next to him and says "Later Bunga."

Nin and Prija squeal, "Pii' Chai wants to marry Pii' Bunga!" They're ship is sailing in their minds.

I let go of Nin's hand, feeling the blood rushing to my cheeks, "Uh... I'm gonna go home now Aunty Phueng."

I run home and into my bedroom hiding my face in my pillow, my phone buzzes, "You left your dress with my mum." It's from Chai.

I through my phone across the bed. How am I going to face him now?