Chapter 10

Chai Pov

"The Guard and the girls will deal with them," I tell Bunga as she has her arm over my shoulder to keep herself steady as we walk to the Nurse's office.

"They can't stop me loving myself," she laughs weakly (I know that's a different song but I needed something more gentle).

I laugh as well ignoring the stares of the students who are busy with their free periods and bathroom breaks. "When did you get so good at Malay?" she asks me. "You're better than me."

"I started learning a while back," I explain. "I figured since you're Dad said you could speak Malay back in the day, it'd be good if I can speak to you in Malay in case you have an episode."

"Smart," she whispers. "I guess those marks aren't just because you're Asian." She laughs again.

Breaking the fourth wall a bit, but I'm sure Bunga has not told you much about me or how we know each other. It's not from school, we've known each other since she moved to Stepney Way all those years ago after the crash. I've known the details for years, I'm the only guy on the Guard who knows the specifics, they just know Bunga has PTSD and Bicycle by RM is the trigger. We have a list of people who use that melody as their ringtones and alarms, knowing who does actually helps Bunga because she knows to be wary of those people and their phones- the effects of not knowing were evident today. This is the most violent episode she's had since joining this school. It actually scared me.

We reach the Nurse's office, "Miss Bonolo, Mr Shinawatra, what's happened?" Nurse Jay Waters asks, butchering both of our surnames perfectly.

"Bunga's just had a really violent PTSD episode," I explain as I lead her to the hospital bed and climbs onto it. "Auntie Jasmine... I mean Nurse Jasmine normally gives her some Chamomile tea, can you call her here."

Auntie Jasmine is my Filipino neighbour who works as the head nurse, Bunga's dad begged her not to prescribe Bunga any conventional medicines unless it's absolutely necessary. "I'll go get her," Nurse Jay says and we watch him head off to go find Auntie Jasmine.

"I think my Dad's going to make you stay for dinner again," I hear Bunga say. "Wanna tell your parents in advance."

"You only live across the road," I say. "I can just yell to my mum from your balcony when I see her coming back from her sewing class in the community centre, 'Mae! Uncle Vusumuzi invited me to stay for dinner again.' Then she'll yell 'But I made Tom Yum Goong' and I'll let out a big sigh because I have to sacrifice my Tom Yum Goong to eat Isijingi and steamed bread."

"Hey, we're actually having Shepherd's Pie for dinner today," she defends her household.

"Nice," I say. I love me some Shepherd's pie.

"Aren't you going to go back to class?" she asks.

"Trying to get rid of me?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

I know her answer, "Yes," she replies bluntly and predictably.

"I'll stay until you fall asleep," I say. "And that'll be after Auntie Jasmine comes with the Chamomile tea."

"I don't always fall asle..."

"Yes you do," I interrupt her. "Every time, without fail."

"You're just hanging about because you don't want to hear the K-drama comments," she says smiling slightly. "You'd rather people say you helping me before came straight out of a Thai drama rather than K-drama because your sick of people asking you if your from either Korea or Japan."

"Spot on," I nod, and I'm worried about you, you jerk.

Auntie Jasmine and Nurse Jay come into the office with a mug of Chamomile tea, "Remember Auntie," I say. "Bunga doesn't like the smell of lavender so when she falls asleep use a different scent in the diffuser."

"I know you're Bunga's in-school guardian when she has her episodes, Chai but I do know how to do my job," Auntie Jasmine scolds me.

"Sorry Auntie."

She passes Bunga the tea then Nurse Jay starts arguing with Auntie Jasmine again because her relationships with the students is too friendly sometimes.

Of course Auntie Jasmine wins the argument every time but he doesn't stop starting it.

They leave the cubicle so I close the curtain, "Don't forget to ring my dad," Bunga yawns.

"What do you take me for," I laugh. "The tea's already taking affect."
"Shut up."

Five minutes later the mug is empty and Bunga is fast asleep. "You can't scare me like that," I whisper. "I'm the Guardian to your galaxy, Bunga but I still get scared when you're like this. Please a little heads up next time." I laugh at the ridiculousness of that request. "I'll see you later." And with that I leave the Nurse's office and head to my next class.

" And with that I leave the Nurse's office and head to my next class

This is Chai