Chapter 15

Bunga Pov

Chai left just after six, he spoke with dad more than he did with me.

Some mate he is.

I just watched them eat as I lay on our Somali style sofas doing my homework. Every so often Chai would lean back and peer over to see my laptop and tell me the answer which would cause Dad to chuckle.  It's not like I didn't know the answer it's just as I put down my working out for the question prior he looks at the next one and works it out. He also doesn't do it to help me, he does it to get a headstart on his own homework, I know that because immediately after he gets out his phone and  notes down the answer. Neither Dad or I can say anything about it because it's not even cheating.

Chai recommended this movie called 'Searching' so we stayed up to watch it for a bit then we went to bed.

I have the Master Bedroom Dad likes the second bedroom because of the bookshelves that line the right wall. Well... that's what he says, Chai's mum says it's because he likes having the small space so he can use the excuse to only have a single bed, because having a double bed or bigger will make him feel lonelier. Chai said his dad said that Dad said he has no plans on getting remarried. Dad just prefers to lose himself in his books, I thought that was only something us kids and teens did but I guess the need to escape reality is found in people of all ages.  

It's 10:30 now, I've got to be asleep by 11 to have eight hours sleep. The chances that I'll have a peaceful night are very low.  Nightmares come and stay for a while. Chai normally messages me at midnight to check if I've woken up yet, he says he goes to sleep at twelve but his younger brother, Kraisee and his sisters Nin and Prija all say he doesn't sleep until 3 and gets yelled at by their mum everyday but their dad just says as long as he's studying it's fine. But of course I know he isn't studying anything school related because of what he says, so whatever he is doing is either intense language studys or a complete mystery.

He's not the only one who messages me, Zaina messages at the beginning of the dawn prayer and Farzana messages half an hour before the end.

I do manage to fall asleep only to be woken up at 2 again after being mentally harassed by a crazy bakwaas dream as my friend Pakistani friend, Maryam describes it. My dreams are like Alice and Wonderland, topsy-turvy on a good day. I turn on my phone and check my messages.
As expected a message from Chai bang on midnight checking on me, it says he's online now as well. Hesitating for a few moments until I finally press call.

"Hey Bunga," he says quietly. "What are you doing up at this time?"

"I could ask you the same thing?" I whisper. "My crazy dreams woke me up."

"I'm studying psy... Siamese cat behaviour," he says.

"What was with the hesitation?" I ask confused but not surprised at his weird pastime, it's 2 in the morning, you always end up doing weird things at times like this.  
He starts muttering in Thai, it sounds like he's cursing himself.

"I uh it's nothing Bunga, it's just late," he says softly.  "Do you need something to help you sleep?"

"Any ideas?"

I notice his tone is so soft it sounds like ASMR, is he doing it on purpose?

"You don't like rain right?" he says. "And you say Ocean sounds don't work?"

"Hmm."

"Fire," he says. "Listen to fire ASMR, it might help you fall asleep."

"And I have nightmare about the flat burning down?"

"Then you can blame it on me and I'll buy you a coffee before school," he says still in his soft but confident ASMR voice. "And we'll know fire doesn't work."

"I'm not some sleep guinea pig," I say whilst searching a fire ASMR video.

"No you're a Honey Badger," he whispers. "Night, Bunga, see you when the sun is up."

"Night Chai. Thanks."

"Anytime."