Chapter 12

After lunch, Dad arrives at school, "Hey, Dad," I say. 

"What happened?" he asks. "You said you were fine this morning! Chai said you were screaming and talking in Malay!"

"It's alright," I say. "I just didn't expect the substitute's phone to ring in class."

"But you were fine afterwards?" Dad asks still worried. "Yes, Chai had Zaina get the pills from my bag and made me take one then he took me to Auntie Jasmine for the Chamomile Tea."
"Then you fell asleep?"
"Then I fell asleep."

"Where is the boy then, I need to thank him," Dad says.

"I already told him you're going to invite him for dinner, which you should go home and cook -I took the mince meat out of the freezer this morning but I put it in the fridge so it doesn't go off."

"I've got to go speak to the principal, he most probably wants to recommend another psychiatrist."

"I'm done with them, Dad," I say.

"I know, love, I know," he reassures me. "It's just procedures."
"I'll see you later then," I sigh. 

He nods, "Stay calm and safe."

He leaves for the Principle's office then Chai, Duman and Abdul Malik appear from the corner, "I can't believe you hid from her dad," Abdul Malik scoffs.

"And made us hide too," Duman says looking at me.

"Well if Uncle Vusumuzi hugs me in front of everyone, people will have enough materials to build a ship."

"I think pulling me out of a PTSD episode with my head on your lap and whispering in Malay is enough material," I say dryly.

"She's got a point," Abdul Malik says as he heads off to his class. Duman leaves in the opposite direction abandoning the two of us so we can chat.

"So the dinner invitation has been received right," I ask.

"Yeah," he nods. "Any ideas on how to sink the ship before our parents get wind of it." (Not that Chai's mum doesn't already ship us).
"Not a clue," I shrug then I lift up my arm to turn on my smart watch, "Check this out, Ring Thai Drama King."

It's starts dialling then Chai's phone goes off from his pocket. "Really," he asks. "That's the best you can do."

"Don't pretend like you don't have me saved as Zuka Zama."
"No," he denies. "I changed it to Bunga the Wise two months ago."

I left up my leg and start taking off my shoe but Chai has already started running away.

"I'm gonna get you, Chai!" I yell as I slip my shoe back on.

"But if you chase me people are gonna start shipping us harder!" he calls back.

I can already hear the students around me laughing and whispering. 

"Stuff it," I groan. "He's going the wrong way to class anyway."