| 74 |

| Luca |

“Love, please sit down,” I fought the urge to glare at Shaun, and instead continued to pace around his office, like I’ve been doing since we got here.

“You could have at least told her that we’ll discuss everything tomorrow,” I suggested, stopping. “You know, when all of us are sane and in the right state of mind,” I began pacing yet again.

“You should have seen the look on her face, baby,” Shaun said with yet another groan. “I just couldn’t do it,”

“Yeah but…” I trailed off with a frown.
Would I have done this better if it was me? Would I have told her everything? Probably. Yes.

“Okay, she’s clearly involved in this, baby,” I said begrudgingly pausing my pacing around and instead settled down on Shaun’s lap. “You know, she knows about Sandy. And Sienna. Almost worked with them too,” I listed off, wrapping one arm around Shaun’s shoulders. “I get it,” I looked into his eyes. “Why you lied. You were protecting her from the ugly truth and the reality of what almost happened,” he watched me as I rattled away. “I just…” I paused, trying to find my words. “You know how you are usually hands on deck and in control of things,”

“Yes?”

“That’s how I see her too,” Shaun frowned at that. “I’m aware that you can’t always handle the things that come our way. Sometimes it gets tough. Someone you might possibly want to tap out, you know, but you always know what to do. And you keep us safe and…you put us above everything else. Things like that,” he still looked at me like he didn’t get it. “It’s the same thing with Angel,”

“I’m aware of that,”

“No, I don’t think you are,” I said with a shake of my head. “Not to an extent, at least. Look at it like this,” I said wrapping my other arm around Shaun. “The bodyguards she organised for us. We never thought that far. Let’s face it baby, we could have died last night, if it weren’t for them. A-and the news about Sandy’s case, she knew about that information that was leaked way before we did. And somehow…she has a better source than we do,” I said listing all of it. “And…the jail situation could have gone worse if she didn’t intervene,” Shaun groaned, his head slumping against my shoulder. “You have to face it baby, she’s the mastermind of all this. She has it all figured out. There’s no point in keeping things from her,”

“I messed up,” Shaun whined against my shoulder.

“Hey, you can’t be hard on yourself,” I said hugging him. “I mean, I know you did it to protect her. You did it because you care,” I pulled back to look at him. “but baby let’s face it, our Angel is all grown up now. She’s smarter and stronger than ever. She doesn’t need us cushioning all of her falls like she used to. She’s brave enough to take it all. I hate having to put her in this position, believe me, I do, but this isn’t something we can control anymore,”

“I know,” Shaun said quietly. “And you’re right. I just…” he looked into my eyes for a moment before his eyes wandered to the band-aid on my forehead and he grimaced. “Why can’t I just…protect you two and keep you away from all of this? I’m not used to seeing you throw yourselves in front of the fire. That’s what I do,”

“You know what the best part about having not one, but two partners is?” I grabbed his face, squishing it together on purpose, his lips pouted. I chuckled when he gave me a look and in return, I kissed the pouty lips. “You don’t have to carry everything by yourself. We’re here for you the same way you’re always there for us, right?” he hummed. I squished his face harder until he groaned. “Right baby?” I said fighting the urge to laugh.