Chapter 9: Taehyung

Something changed this evening between me and her. It felt like a wall was finally broken. There are still many more to be broken but for now, I'm content with this. Knowing I was about to have dinner with her again also made this all a hundred times better.

"Brought you some Uttapam." I said cheerfully as I entered the room. She was laying on the bed but quickly got up.
"Black is definitely your color, if nobody has told you that yet." She suddenly spoke.
"If I didn't know better, I'd think you just complimented me." I smirked.
"Maybe I did."
Silence.

I could see from my peripheral vision that she was sneaking glances towards me every once in a while. I could feel my whole body ignite whenever I felt her eyes on me. It was something really hard to describe.

"How did you come into this... this mafia world?" She asked carefully, as if she was trying to not overstep my boundaries. She looked beautiful.
"It was a long time ago. I just had this urge to do something right for this world while I waited for someone. This corrupt system wouldn't let me do that so I took matters in my own hands."
I saw something in her eyes change at the mention of a certain someone.
"Long time? You don't look an year older than 20."
"Technically I'm 19."
She hummed, as if deep in thought about my past.

"How did you get into all this, Hera?" I asked, before continuing "You yourself look like a teenager."
"Mind you, I'm also 19." She glared. I found this really amusing.

"To answer your question, I have been doing this since I was 15. When you have nothing to lose except your country, this is probably your best option."
"Best? Your life is at stake everyday."
"I like it like this. It gives me a sense of purpose."
"What about your family?"
"Died when I was 5. Since then, I had been travelling from one orphanage to another. Before someone took me in and here I am."
She said all this with such confidence. With a smile. It was true, though. Her organization was so secure that even I couldn't find much information on her.

"When are you going to let me leave?" It sounded as if she was forcing the words out of her. Maybe I have gone too far.
"There are some things I'd like you to work on, if you want your freedom. I'm currently developing them." In reality, there was nothing in development. I just wanted her to be here.
After a few seconds of contemplating, I spoke. "How would you like to go out to a movie or a restaurant with me? Of course there would be security but you would get a chance to be outside." I felt so bad saying this. I was being too selfish. Maybe just a week more and then I'd let her go.

Something in her eyes sparkled when I said.

"Sounds good. Being outside, you know." She quickly clarified, but I just smirked.
"Do you like the horror genre?"
"Oh I love the horror genre."
"It's decided then. I will take you to the theatre tomorrow evening."
She smiled and this was probably my cue to leave.

But I wanted just a few more minutes with her. I helped her lay comfortably on the bed again and checked all the necessities she would need before leaving.

I thought back to that moment.

She smiled as she told me about how she never got to know about her biological parents. She indeed had a habit of surprising me in ways I never imagined. Who could smile when they were talking about never knowing if they had any siblings? If they had any family?
"I'm sorry to hear that, Velma."
She chuckled. "It's nothing. My family is here. Besides, if I hadn't been adopted, I would have never gotten to know you, Kim Taehyung."
We walked hand in hand through the rest of the garden.

That was one of my favorite memories about her. Talk about history repeating itself.

~~~~

the plot is moving 👀👀 there's a hint in the meaning of both velma and hera's names. let's see if anybody is able to guess it (as if there's even a single soul reading this lol)
remember to vote if you liked this chapter :)