The Dog

Days past, and Shadow was still on the way to Mount Rushmore. He had stopped several times for a break, and several times to sleep.

     He was in the middle of nowhere in Illinois. He was in such a deserted place, there were tumble weeds moving across his path. He noticed there were train tracks pretty close to him as he was running. Then all of a sudden, he heard the loud whistle of a train behind him. He could tell it was far away from him. He then started to panic when he saw something moving on the tracks ahead of him. As he sped closer, he realized it was a dog on the tracks struggling to get off. The train let out another whistle as Shadow looked behind him and it was moving closer and closer to him. He bolted towards the dog and jumped on the tracks from about 5 feet away. Then, the train whistled once more before running right over the tracks Shadow and the dog were on. Then, everything was a blur as the train whizzed past the  tracks. Then, everything went silent.

     Shadow and the dog had fallen to the other side of the tracks and were terrified. Shadow had jumped to the dog and to the other side of the tracks seconds before the train had passed. The dog seemed traumatized, while Shadow was still trying to process what had just happened. The dog was a Border Collie, as Shadow had observed. He didn't usually like dogs, but this one seemed really sweet. The dog started licking his face in gratefulness.

     "Stop, stop!" Shadow yelled playfully at the dog. Just then, Shadow realized he needed to catch that train. So he grabbed the dog, and zoomed off to catch the train. The dog's tongue was hanging out if it's mouth, which caused Shadow to get slobber all over his face. They eventually caught the train, and Shadow was so tired that he fell asleep right there on a box in one of the train carts. Then, his journey with the dog began.