IX (Pt. II)

Continued...

Marcus

"Bruh get the fuck out of here." I kissed my teeth as I saw that the flames were coming from my shop when I pulled around. I quickly parked and hopped out of the car. I went and helped Alani out before we sped walked over the first officer I spotted.

"Sir, you can't go behind this tape." He said as I approached him.

"That's my shop. What's going on?" I said as I saw the firefighters hosing the building down.

"From what I was told by your employees, somebody knocked a few candles over and didn't pay attention until they smelled smoke and realized that a fire had started." He explained. I shook my head, that story doesn't even make no damn sense.

"That story doesn't even make sense." I said as I looked over towards the ambulance and saw that Serena was getting checked out by a paramedic. We walked over to her and her eyes widened when she saw me.

"Marcus, I'm so sorry. I tried my hardest to put the flames out but it was too late when I realized what had happened." Serena cried as I approached her.

"Its okay, Serena. As long as you guys are all OK, it'll be fine. That's why I have insurance." I said. "What the fuck happened though?" I asked her as I squeezed Alani's hand and she stepped closer to me.

"I was up front straightening up and cleaning up because I was getting ready to close up and then I started to smell smoke. So I went and checked all of the booths and as I approached Hakeem's booth I saw smoke coming from inside. I quickly ran and grabbed the fire extinguisher, but by the time I got back the smoke had completely filled the air and the flames were too big for me to handle so I ran out. Somebody had already dialed 911 because by the time I got outside and dialed the number they were already pulling into the parking lot. I was going to call you but they wanted to check me out to make sure that I was fine." She cried. "I don't even know when everyone else left because when I got outside I saw them all standing around with wide eyes." She finished. I nodded as I sighed.

"As long as you guys are all fine, then I'm good." I said. "I know how stubborn you are so if they tell you that they think you should go to the hospital, then go." I said to her. She laughed before coughing.

"I will. I'm sorry again, boss." She said. I waved her off.

"It's fine." I said. I sighed as I ran my hand down my face. "I have to stay here and figure out what's next. Do you mind waiting for me?" I asked Alani as I looked down at her. She shook her head.

"Not at all. Handle your business." She said. "Is there anything I can do? I mean I can't do much, but I can help you out as best as I can." She said. I laughed.

"It's okay mama. I just need to go talk to the officer and my other employees." I said. She nodded.

"I'll wait right here." She said. I nodded as she stepped off to the side and I walked away.

Alani

That story about the candles falling over doesn't even make sense. If someone knew there was a candle around and they accidentally bumped into the table or whatever the candle was on, why wouldn't you look back to make sure that it didn't fall over? Better yet, how didn't you hear the glass break from the candle falling on the ground? I shook my head as I pulled my phone out of my purse. I opened my text messages and saw a text from Delilah.