44. Your Name

ARTHUR

The scalding heat on my back faded, sending a pulsating wave of relief extending towards every reach of my body. In that fleeting moment, the burden of the new godrune I obtained became a distant memory, as if swallowed by the ethereal touch of a forgotten breeze.

The oppressive weight and fatigue from the previous battle that had  pressed upon my weary shoulders seemed to lift, allowing my tired muscles to relax for the first time in what felt like an eternity.

The Djinn was gone as fast as he appeared. His form was under me for a second, and then it simply -wasn't-.

The air still crackled with his energy, a tangible echo of his presence. Yet, I stood there, rooted in awe and disbelief, my senses still tingling with the excitement of my achievement.

The rotating halos encircling the humongous altar in front of me faltered in their celestial dance for a second, revealing a crack in the facade of the Relictombs' security, making me doubt if full-blooded asura still couldn't access this place.

"Incredible..." I heard, a single word whispered on the wind, awe and excitement ringing through the space.

I turned my head upward, compelled by a pull to witness the source of the voice. Above me, suspended in mid-air, centered on the altar, the amethyst crystal radiated with a brilliance that rivaled the brightest star in the night sky.

"Never before has someone unlocked two godrunes in such a short span of time." It echoed. "The rare cases in our society managed to obtain one only after a lifetime of study and dedication."

"It's so... weird." I stated. "I don't even need to move a muscle..."

"Your rune took on the appearance of a bolt of lightning. Now, I may be speculating, but I believe it is because that is how you conceptualized that particular branch of aether." It said.

"I've never heard of a dragon from the Indrath clan with one godrune, let alone two." I spoke.

"True." The Djinn residing in the crystal cut me off. "Those beasts have the physical prowess and intuition to handle aether, yet their lack of knowledge and stubbornness prevents them from using it like you."

"Careful with your words." I warned. "Not all dragons are beasts."

"Of course. I hope you can understand where my prejudice comes from." It said, solemnly.

I gave the crystal a smile of acknowledgment, only to then feel a peculiar sensation against my palm. Confusion flickered across my face as I slowly opened my hand to investigate, for I distinctly recalled not having grasped onto anything.

"What in the..." I muttered, bringing the small, curved rectangle closer to my eyes.

It was a small, enigmatic object, entirely swathed in a deep shade of obsidian black. Its smooth surface absorbed the surrounding light, leaving no reflection or hint of its true nature. Upon closer inspection, faint runes, delicate and almost imperceptible to the naked eye, were intricately inscribed upon its dark surface.

"That is one of four keystones that will give you insight into the greater truth." The crystal said. "It holds the means to gaining insight to an edict of aether that will help you traverse the Relictombs and the oustide world. Although, even I wasn't able to solve it when I was still alive."

I twirled it in my hand, around and between my fingers. "It looks like a door handle."

The rotating halos faltered once more. "As much as I am amused by your agreeable constantation, I fear that we are short on time."