37. Scorpion Skirmish

ARTHUR

This place, again.

I stood in the middle of a familiar infinite pool, the crystal-clear water lapping gently against my ankles. I looked around, my eyes wide with wonder as I tried to take in the endless expanse of the space. It stretched out in all directions, as far as the eye could see, and it still left me in an incredible sense of awe, even though I've been here before.

Just as before, I was surrounded by a vast, endless darkness. A place that seemed to stretch out into infinity. Only this time, something was different about it.

It was slightly less ominous than before. The difference was miniscule, but I felt it clear as day.

I spotted that distant speck of light once more. The glowing version of me, chained in the middle of the Vritra clan's emblem. I think I should see what he was talking about before.

I'll call him Art two.

Just as I took my first step, something made me stop in my tracks.

It was what seemed like an infinite number of voices, all speaking at once, rising up in a chorus that seemed to fill the entire space. I'd say it was familiar, as I had heard this from Art two before, but these ones were different.

What was most surprising was that they were all female voices, each one blending seamlessly into the next. They spoke with a clarity and a force that took my breath away, as if they were a choir singing in perfect harmony.

They uttered one word, one that shook my very core.

'Art.'

The mention of my name jolted me from my daze, and I turned around, looking back the way I had come. And there, in the distance, I saw another speck of light, beckoning me in yet another direction.

Another light?

I rushed towards it, wasting no time.

'Art!' I heard once more, only this time, the voice was deeper and more masculine.

'Art!'

'Arthur!'

***

As I slowly came to, I felt a faint warmth spreading throughout my body, as though I was wrapped in a comforting embrace. My eyes fluttered open, and as they adjusted to the light, I was struck by the sight above me. The sky was a brilliant shade of blue, eerily devoid of clouds.

I noticed that the pain and mental dullness from the scorpion's injury have completely dissipated, and Realmheart was completely deactivated.

Turning my head, I layed my eyes on a  shadow pup seated next to me. It's fur was a dark purple hue, mixed with tinges of black. It's mane was comprised of purple flames, and it stared at me with it's eyes of pure white color.

If that wasn't enough, it had two sharp horns protruding out of it's head. It's strange combination of features left me confused.

Is my mind playing tricks on me?

"Welcome back, sleeping beauty." The wolf groaned, making me shiver at the familiar, annoying voice.

"Regis?" I said, my mouth agape.

"Check me out, I'm majestic as fuck!" The wolf grinned, wagging it's tail like a true puppy.

Rubbing my eyes, to check if I wasn't seeing things, I spoke. "What happened to you?"

"Easy, pleb." Regis said, "I shall explain."

I shot an angry glare at the wolf, making him readjust his seating position uncomfortably, before he cleared his throat loudly.