Chapter 11

I chewed my lip and looked down at my hands as we waited for our coffee to arrive.
"So... Hunters pretty upset" Marco shrugged it off, trying to show me it wasn't a big deal but he looked like he hadn't slept in a good few days. He had bags under his extremely beautiful brown eyes and his blonde hair was a tousled mess on his head. He looked adorable with his hair like that! I met his warm gaze and nodded stiffly, Hunter didn't like the fact that I was kinda friends with his older brother. Marco made me feel a way I wasn't used to feeling, he made me giggle- not laugh. Giggle! He also knew me so well and knew how to make me happy, we related in a different way than I relate to Hunter. Both these boys are someone I would never want to lose.
"Don't beat yourself up Kate, you know our little Hunter." Marco reached over and took my hands in his, "He only wants what's best for you." I looked at our hands, letting my hair fall into my face so he wouldn't see I was blushing.
"I know, I just don't like him being upset" it was true, Hunter meant so much to me and I hated seeing him mad, especially when that anger was aimed at me.
Hunter had lost it with me when I told him I was having lunch with Marco. We had been sitting in my room when things turned serious.

"Hey, Hunter." I was playing with the chains on my jeans, "I gotta tell you something" he looked up from his phone a genuine smile of reassurance on his face, making what I was about to tell him that much harder. He moved closer at my hesitation to say something and took my hand.
"What is it my little KitKat?" He rubbed small circles on my hand which I had always found calming. I let out a shaky breath.
"I'm uh, having lunch with Marco today..." I bit my lip and shut my eyes tightly when he dropped my hand and moved back as if I slapped him. He looked at me with eyes full of anger and betrayal.
"Don't be mad!" I reached out for him but he got off the bed quickly and his gaze turned to one of pure frustration. He ran a hand through his hair and turned his back to me, he took serval deep breathes before turning back to me.
"Don't be mad" he repeated calmly, "don't be mad" then he laughed, causing the hairs on my arm and the back of my neck stand up.
"Hunter..." I whispered, my voice just not coming to me. He looked me up and down then shook his head and let out a humorless chuckle.
"You like him more than a friend." He didn't ask it, he was telling me. I felt tears prick my eyes at his tone of hatred. I looked at him with pleading eyes.
"Please..." I begged him, grabbing his hand as I got off the bed and pulled him closer to me. He looked down at me.
"Why?" He asked in a sad voice.
"Why?" I repeated, not sure what he was asking.
"Why do you like him?" He looked broken, not even mad anymore. Just really sad.
"He... He makes me feel... Special" I wanted Hunter to understand. He bit his lip and gave a short laugh, one that lacked all emotion.
"I don't do that for you?" He asked me seriously. My eyes widened.
"Of course you do! But it's not the same..." I squeezed his hand, "You're my best friend." He scoffed and nodded.
"You're going to get hurt, you think you know Marco but you don't! I might not be there to pick up the broken pieces he leaves you in." He sounded bitter and shook me off, he turned and headed for the door. My heart breaking more with every step he took, silent tears falling down my face.
"Do what you want, Kate." He shrugged, his voice so emotionless it sent daggers into my chest and then he left. Leaving me in a broken sobbing mess on the floor unable to control the emptiness I was feeling. And as stupid I was, I called Marco and we made our lunch date even earlier.

Marco just held my hand and let me talk about how I was feeling. He was good at that- listening to me. I told him about the fight, he kept squeezing my hand in reassurance. When I was done he nodded, taking all the information in.
"I understand" he nodded. I smiled sadly at him.
"Thanks Marco" I knew I was going red, but I couldn't stop looking at him. He smiled at me, lifting a hand and stroking the side of my face.
"Kate, I um... I wanted to ask you something but I don't know if now is the right time" he looked nervous which made me sink into my chair. He was about to say something when the waiter came with our order. Marco smiled at him and I had to clear my throat to get his attention as the waiter walked off, I was getting anxious and he seemed to want to look anymore but meh. He smiled nervously at me and began picking at his food with a fork. I studied him but didn't say anything for a while.
"Are you alright?" I asked him, genuinely concerned. He looked at me with a smile.
"Of course. I'm with you, Princess" he winked at me and sent butterflies crashing around my stomach. I blushed and looked down. He lifted my chin with his finger, making me look at him.
"Don't try and hide that beautiful face from me" he leaned over the table and kissed my cheek. I thought I was going to melt, my entire face was flushing an unattractive shade of red but Marco just smiled at me making my blush worse. We ate our food mostly in silence, the occasional statement here and there. The silence wasn't uncomfortable though, it was peaceful and made me feel relaxed. When Marco ordered the bill I was kinda sad the day was coming to an end, I always loved being around him. I sighed, I knew he didn't see me as anything other than a friend. He looked over at me with a slightly raised brow and questioning eyes, he always noticed the small things I did and it made me smile at him.

Marco took my hand as we walked down the street to my house. I was looking at the ground so when he cleared his throat I got a bit of a fright, I looked up at him.
"Um, Kate..." He paused for a bit, stopping and turning to face me.
"Yeah?" I was nervous, I didn't know why but my heart was pounding in my chest like a wild beast trying to bash it's way out. Marco took both my hands in his.
"I have to ask you something very important" he searched my face, I bit my lip and looked into his eyes, willing him to ask.
"Will you..." He bit his lip, clearly nervous. I squeezed his hands lightly, showing him it was okay to continue.
"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked it in a rush and I almost didn't hear, but I heard and my heart jumped out of my chest.
"Y-you want me to b-be your g-girlfriend?" I was expecting him to say it was a joke but he smiled nervously at me and nodded. A smile tugged at my lips and I hugged him.
"Yes, Marco! Of course I will!" I heard him sigh with relief as he wrapped his arms around me, holding me close to his body. I snuggled into his chest, my heart was racing and I could hear his doing the same. He put his hand gently on the side of my face, "is it alright if I..." He trailed off but leaned down a bit, I stood up on my tip toes closing the gap between our lips. I felt my entire body explode as my lips moved against Marcos, his arms tightly around my waist. After awhile we pulled away from the kiss, breathing heavily. He rested his forehead on mine and smiled, "I'm now the luckiest guy ever, Princess" he whispered and I felt myself blush, leaning into him. Until I heard someone impatiently clear their throat with a loud "uh hmm." I pulled away from Marco and looked guiltily at Hunter.