066 - Manchurian Incident - 5

Începe de la început

The surrounding countries had formed alliances with the United States (G4). The response was that even if China sought support from countries like Germany, there was no guarantee it would reach them. Given the certainty of inevitable defeat in the event of war, the Chinese government chose to compromise with the United States.

Chinese Communist Party

The CCP rejoiced upon receiving reports from information operatives within the Chinese government that the government had steered its diplomacy towards a compromise with the United States. This was seen as a development that would create a rift between the Chinese government and the Chinese people. By 1940, the CCP had continuously faced attacks and suppression from the Chinese government, making it increasingly difficult to maintain their organization as an armed faction. Therefore, the loss of support of the Chinese government by the people was a cause for celebration.

The leadership of the CCP decided to focus on propaganda campaigns to increase dissatisfaction among the Chinese people, rather than resorting to armed activities in the short term. They also sought to approach the Soviet Union to build up their military capabilities as well as economic and military assistance. Initially, the relationship between the Soviet Union and China faced difficulties due to the Soviet Union's close ties with Germany, which also had a relationship with China. This was partly due to the fact that the Frontier Republic, which China confronted, had an alliance with the Siberian Republic, an enemy of the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union aimed to exert pressure on the Frontier Republic by cooperating with China, ultimately leading to a decline in the power of the Siberian Republic.

However, this relationship collapsed when China announced its compromising stance towards the United States in the international community. The Soviet Union decided to join hands with the CCP as a replacement for China, forming an organization to counter the Eastern Bloc (Japan-Anglo Union).

. . .

The US-China 1940 Peace Treaty

After twists and turns, the diplomatic negotiations concluded with China accepting the United States' demands in their entirety. The Chinese government agreed to the obligation of protecting American citizens within Chinese territory. Furthermore, the free activities of armed groups (PMSC) other than non-American/Frontier government forces within Chinese territory were also recognized, with the purpose of ensuring the protection of American citizens. A 50 km demilitarized zone was established along the border between the Frontier Republic and China. *2 As compensation to the United States, the import tariffs on American/Frontier Republic products imposed by China would be suspended for the next ten years. Regarding the renewal of China's military equipment, although no specific framework was established, the treaty included a provision stating that it should be done with restraint for the sake of peace.

The content of this treaty, which was considered highly humiliating, sparked boiling public opinion among the Chinese people.

. . .

China

The reconciliation treaty signed between China and the United States was far from acceptable for the Chinese people. A strong backlash emerged against both American imperialism and the weak stance of the Chinese government in accepting it. However, the Chinese government began to suppress these opposition movements based on the terms of the treaty.

The growing discontent within China started to turn towards French Indochina, where resistance movements against the same imperialists were taking place. Chanting for solidarity among fellow Asians and dreaming of Asian independence from imperialist ruling powers, including the Japanese, the traitors to Asians, and the Americans, who undermine China. It embraced the ideology of Greater Asian Solidarity (Greater Asianism). This movement inevitably influenced the ideological individuals who remained in Japan—the state of North Japan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes

*1:

Great Manchurian Exercise

- Participating troops: approx. 100.000

- Participating AFVs: approx. 1.000

- Participating field artillery: approx. 1.500

- 10 divisions

- 1 brigade

- 1 regiment

United States of America

- 1 mechanized division

Japan

- 1 mechanized regiment

Republic of Guam

- 1 mechanized division

Frontier Republic

- 1 armored division

- 1 mechanized division

- 2 motorized division

Siberian Republic

- 1 mechanized division

- 2 motorized division

Pardes

- 1 mechanized brigade

Republic of Korea

- 1 motorized division

Order of Battle

United States Operations Command Frontier Republic – Great Manchurian Exercise 1st Army Group

1st Army

- 1st Corps

-- 11th Mechanized Division (USA)

-- 5th Infantry Division/Mechanized (Frontier Republic)

-- 702nd Mechanized Division (Siberian Republic)

- 4th Corps

-- 3rd Marine Division/501st Mechanized Division (Guam SAZ/Republic of Guam)

-- 1st Independent Armored Regiment (Japan)

-- 7th Armored Brigade (Pardes)

2nd Army

- 2nd Corps

-- 3rd Division/Motorized (Frontier Republic)

-- 4th Division/Motorized (Frontier Republic)

-- 712th Motorized Division (Siberian Republic)

-- 714th Motorized Division (Siberian Republic)

- 3rd Corps

-- 2nd Division/Tank (Frontier Republic)

-- 204th Motorized Division (Republic of Korea)

The force was divided into two groups for the rivalry. Furthermore, the Republic of Korea recognized it as an opportunity to earn gratitude from the United States and voluntarily proposed to contribute its military forces. Naturally, prior consent was obtained from Japan.

However, due to the judgment that an independent military agreement with foreign (G4) powers was undesirable for a Japanese state, it was decided to consolidate it into a cooperation treaty between the Republic of Korea and the Frontier Republic for dealings with China.

*2: This is a 50 km zone within Chinese territory from the border. At the same time, the airspace was designated for surveillance by League of Nations surveillance aircraft.

Initially, the Chinese government showed reluctance as the conditions seemed close to a territorial cession, but the United States did not back down. The United States insisted that the Manchurian Incident was the trigger for attacks originating from Chinese territory and pushed that narrative.