Bonus Chapter 03

December, 2027

Dublin, Ireland

She wasn't going to make it to the hospital she was registered at. She was sure of it. Bracing the contraction, Hauwa filled the tub with warm water and got in.

Beyah ran into the bathroom, clutching three folded towels. She had tears in her eyes, her hair a mess on her head. For a 2 year and 9 month child, she spoke really clearly. "Mama, are these okay?"

Hauwa nodded, managing a smile. "They are...Don't cry, sweetheart."

"You're in pain, Mama. I don't like seeing you in pain. You know that."

Hauwa asked her to come close and Beyah obeyed. Hauwa kissed her daughter's head. "I'm going to be okay, In Shaa Allah. When Baba comes with the doctor, I need you to step out and wait in the room, okay?"

Beyah shook her head. "No. I want to be here with you."

Hauwa never got the chance to reply as the urge to push became overbearing. Beyah didn't leave and the little girl's presence did help. By the time Mahmud rushed into the bathroom with the doctor in tow, Hauwa was gently pulling the baby out, Beyah in the water; the little one helping the way she could.

Mahmud and the female doctor rushed to join her. The baby's shoulders eased out and then his body followed. Unlike Beyah who didn't wail immediately she left Hauwa's womb, her brother announced his arrival. Mahmud caught Hauwa as her knees gave way, forcing her to nearly fall from her squatting position.

Beyah eyed the doctor who held her brother. "Don't hurt him."

The female laughed and nodded. "I won't."

An hour later, they were in the hospital and Hauwa was cleared almost immediately. Beyah made sure her brother stayed in her line of sight and Mahmud had to follow so she wouldn't get lost. When they had to scan the baby, she nearly fought.

Mahmud easily picked her off the ground. "Beyah, they're not going to harm him."

"Are you sure?! They're putting him in a machine, Baba!"

"They need to do a full body scan to be sure he's fine. He's not going to be harmed, I promise."

She scrutinized his face before she nodded slowly. "I love you, Baba. That's why I'm going to believe you."

Mahmud had to laugh. "I love you too."

By the time the baby was cleared and they could head back home because Hauwa didn't want to spend the night, Beyah was smiling from ear to ear.

Hauwa chuckled. "I should have known you'll be overprotective when he's born."

Beyah grinned. "I'm going to be the best sister ever!" She got into the car, happily sitting beside Hauwa in the back while Mahmud sat in front with the driver. "You're strong, Mama! I want to be as strong as you when I grow up."

Hauwa smiled at her. "In Shaa Allah you will be...Thank you for staying with me, Beyah."

"You're welcome!" Beyah then turned to Mahmud who watched them with a fond smile. "Baba, can I name him?"

Mahmud nodded. "We already agreed you'd do so."

Beyah faced her brother who slept soundly in his mother's arms. Her heart swelled. "His name is Saifullah. Saifullah Nouman Muhammad because you and Mama said I can't name him Aman too."

Mahmud and Hauwa laughed before Hauwa nodded. "It's beautiful."

Mahmud nodded. "It is. You want to name the next child we have, Beyah?"

She eagerly nodded. "Yes! His name will be Kamal."

"And what if it's a girl?" Hauwa asked.

Beyah's face fell flat. "I'm going to be the only girl in the house, Mama. It'll be a boy. I'm sure of it!"

Mahmud and Hauwa knew better than to argue. When they got back to the house they had been staying in for a month, father and daughter stayed with Hauwa in the living room as she breastfed baby Saifullah for the first time. When she finished, they called everyone else and there were a lot of congratulations and promises to visit once the family was back in Nigeria.

Much later, when Hauwa and Saifullah were asleep and the house was cleaned up, Mahmud went in search of Beyah who was suddenly too quiet. He found her by the fireplace in the second living room and immediately he saw who she was talking to via video call, his eyes narrowed.

"Beyah Aman Muhammad."

She jumped, the tablet falling from her hands. Quickly, she rose to her feet and gave him her widest grin while her cheeks darkened. On the fallen device screen, Yazan grinned too. "Assalam Alaykum, Uncle Mahmud!"

Mahmud focused on his daughter who kept grinning at him, already knowing she and Yazan were dead meat. "Hi, Baba."

Mahmud smiled evilly, putting his hands behind his back. "Hi."

The End (For real, this time)