55

The tent had white drapes covering the sides and majority of the clear canopy which gave them a nice view of the sky. Instead of chandeliers, floral arrangements hung down at intervals, complimenting the floral arrangements on each table. The round tables were covered with white cloth and arranged around the dance floor in the very middle of the reception space. Each table had wooden Chiavari chairs, beautiful dinnerware and dusty blue napkins for each guest. Hauwa and Mahmud had a reserved loveseat which sat in front of a smaller floral wall that had little pendant lights.

 Hauwa and Mahmud had a reserved loveseat which sat in front of a smaller floral wall that had little pendant lights

The tent was cool, thanks to the standing ACs in corners and there was a buffet table lined up with enough food and drinks

The tent was cool, thanks to the standing ACs in corners and there was a buffet table lined up with enough food and drinks. There was no one else apart from them (including Nate and his videography team as well as Henry and his photography team) and they easily got themselves settled so they could begin.

It was beautiful and every moment was memorable. Bashir had been nervous for nothing; he was a natural officiator and he cracked so many jokes that had them laughing until they cried and gasped for air. The seating arrangement made everything better. The different characters on each table birthed looks, snorts and comments that nearly had those who heard them nearly roll on the ground.

The videos and photos came out beautiful as they captured effortless happiness and serenity. They took a break to pray Asr and when they returned, Bashir got them to play games once they finished eating. There were prizes (something he planned with Muhammad, Aisha, Umar, Zainab, Linda and Yusuf) so everyone wanted to win.

The only people who stayed back from everything were Hauwa and Mahmud who were more content with holding hands and laughing as everything unfolded. Husbands turned against wives and friends pretended to not know each other which led to gasps and screams of disbelief.

Amal tied with Kaycee as the winners of most of the games and they grinned widely when monetary prizes were transferred to their accounts. Aleem was a sore looser and Bashir did not fail to tease him. The speeches came next and each person spoke earnestly which made most of them smile and a few – Hauwa in particular – wipe a few tears. It was nearing dusk when Mahmud led Hauwa to the dance floor. The hanging lights most of them hadn't noticed were turned on and it cast a magical glow on the whole space.