50

It was 2:29PM and everyone in the Mustapha household was nearly good to go. Asiyah sat on the high chair in her parents' room, her make-up flawlessly done. The artist brushed her stretched out hair before pulling it into a low ponytail.

Hauwa walked into the room. "Asiyah, are my shoes here by any chance?"

Asiyah raised her head from her phone. She gasped. "Masha Allah, about-to-be Mrs Muhammad. You look really beautiful."

Hauwa shot her an amused look. "Look who's talking. Mas'ood is so going to get a heart attack. You look lovely, Asiyah."

"So do you."

Hauwa waved off the compliment. "Abeg, abeg. I'm looking for my –" She spotted the black heels in a corner. "Ah, there is it!"

"I think Adda Humee mistook it for mine so she brought it here." Asiyah said as the make-up artist stepped away. "That's what we get for doing everything together and getting nearly the same things."

Hauwa laughed. "True. Your shoes are in the wardrobe. I'll go get dressed and then we'll come to help you with anything you'll need. How do you feel?"

Asiyah put her phone on her lap and stared at her reflection. She pointed at a smudge which the artist got rid of before she replied Hauwa. "I'm a bit tired but I'm happy. I'm nervous too but like everyone says, it's normal." She grinned. "I'm actually getting married. Still can't believe it."

"You'll do great, Asiyah. We're here for you."

"Thank you, Hauwa."

"You're welcome. I'm going to get dressed, okay?"

"Sure."

Two minutes later, Humaira walked into the room. Her expression softened as she took in her sister. "Masha Allah, Asiyah. Na rantse da Allah, kinyi kyau sosai."

Asiyah giggled. "Thank you. Has Mama finally had her bath?"

Humaira nodded. "Yes, she has. They're getting ready now. I came to help you get ready...Do you want to wear your gown now or do you want to wait a little longer?"

Asiyah glanced at the clock on the wall. "I think I should wait a bit. I'll put it on by like 2:45."

"Toh, ba matsala. Have you called Mas'ood?"

"Nope. We've been chatting though. He's currently getting ready. He said they'll be leaving Garki in a bit."

"Baba said they'll soon come down."

"Everything has been set, koh?"

Humaira nodded. She walked behind the chair, put her hands on Asiyah's shoulders and smiled at their reflections in the large mirror. "Everything has been set perfectly. Don't worry, Asiyah. We'll ensure everything goes well. Just focus on yourself and on your husband. You only get married once so don't let anyone ruin this day for you."

Asiyah's smile was small but beautiful nonetheless. She reached up with her left hand and placed it on her sister's. "Thank you for being the best sister and sibling, Adda Humee. I don't know how I would have done so many things without you."

Humaira's smile stretched by an inch. "You're welcome, my love." She turned to the make-up artist. "Can you pack her hair in a bun? It'll be easier to tie the dauri with a bun. I don't think there's any need for that afro cap since her hair is already so long. We don't want her hair out, only a little in front for her edges."

The make-up artist nodded and grabbed Asiyah's hair brush. "No problem."

Humaira turned back to her sister. "You don't want lashes?"