16 (Part II)

The reception dinner was coming to an end. As promised, it was the highlight of all HAYD21 activities.

From the introduction of dignitaries present, the short documentary that played for guests who were not with them in Edo and Kano, the speeches and video messages, the food and drinks, the cutting of the cake and Zayd turning the tables around by being the one to feed Hanan, the search game where bridesmaids and groomsmen were set against each other alongside the bride and groom until Hanan emerged as the winner and earned herself nearly half a million naira, all the way to Amal and Zayd's dance as requested by Hanan; all of it was beautiful.

As Hanan and Zayd's dance came to a slow end, Frank spoke into the microphone. "If you are in the mood and you have a partner, be it a woman or a man, you can join the couple. Let's enjoy the calmness of the whole event."

Chairs were pushed back, guests rising to their feet so they could join Hanan and Zayd on the dance floor. Mahmud turned to look at Hauwa. She sat at her designated table, furiously typing away on her phone. He watched Bashir walk up to her which made her raise her head. Mahmud could not make out the words they exchanged but judging from the look on Hauwa's face, he knew the male cousin of hers had asked her to dance with him.

She eventually gave in and Bashir led her to the dance floor where couples swayed to the calm songs that played. Mahmud noticed the men that stopped to stare and he was tempted to walk over to hit every one of them.

"Mahmud, let's dance!"

He turned his head to see Amal beside him, a wide smile on her face and a hand outstretched towards him. He gave her a small smile and shook his head. "You know I don't dance, Amal."

Amal ignored what he said and took his hand. She pulled him to his feet. "You've already broken a lot of your rules today, Mahmud. Break one more."

"But –"

She pulled him with her. Maximillian's Beautiful Scars began to play the moment they got to the dance floor. She grinned. "See? They're playing your favourite song."

He rolled his eyes. "Is that meant to be a consolation?"

She nodded. "Yes."

Mas'ood, who had stayed back at his table, smiled at his niece when she tugged at his babanriga. He leaned forward. "Hey sweetheart."

Fatima Abdullahi – Aliyah's daughter and only child – stepped forward so she could whisper in his ear. "I want to dance."

"You want to dance?"

She nodded. "Yes."

"Daddy doesn't want to dance with you?"

In response, Fatima pointed towards her parents who were laughing on the dance floor. Mas'ood smiled again and turned back to her. "So you want me to dance with you?"

She nodded again. His smile an inch wider, Mas'ood stood and picked her up. "Toh Lady Fatima, let's go and dance."

Frank spoke over the music. "Ladies and gentlemen, if you came with a gift for the couple, please take it towards the eastern door of the marquee. If you don't know the direction, please ask one of the ushers present. There's a designated van for all presents there. Thank you."

Hauwa sighed in her cousin's arms. "This was fun."

Bashir smiled at her. "You're going to crash after this, right?"

She nodded. "I am." Her smile was sad. "I'm just wrapping my head around the reality that Hanan isn't coming home with us again. I mean, she will come and visit from time to time but it wouldn't be the same."