8

The next morning was chilly.

Mas'ood's only consolation for not being allowed to sleep in with the nice weather was his mother's steaming hot kosai and kunun tsamiya. Zainab smiled and watched him eat with a small frown on his face. Out of every single person in the house, he was the only one not fully awake.

"I hope this isn't how you plan on acting during the meeting, Mas'ood." Umar said, his spoon pointed at his younger son.

Zafeenah snickered. "He won't try it ai. He has a reputation to uphold."

Mas'ood simply ignored them and continued eating. Zayd was the first one out of the house half an hour later and Umar stretched as they cleared up the dining room.

"Let us prepare to quarrel again today." He smiled devilishly. "I look forward to it."

Zainab shook her head and pushed her husband out of her kitchen. By the time they were all set to go, Mas'ood was wide awake. He easily caught the car keys Zafeenah threw at him. She grinned. "Nice catch, Ya Mas'ood."

He had a knowing look on his face. "I'm not driving you. Better ride with Aliyah."

She pouted. "You don't mean that."

Mas'ood put his wallet in his back pocket. "Continue telling yourself that."

Five minutes later she sat comfortably in the passenger seat of the family Sienna with a wide smile. He sighed and faced his mother who sat with Aliyah in the middle and Umar in the back.

Zainab smiled softly. "You know you can't say no to her, Mas'ood. Just drive."

Zafeenah had the nerve to laugh. Mas'ood sat properly in the driver's seat and turned the key in ignition. With one last glare thrown his sister's way, he put the car in drive and gently pressed down on the gas pedal.

The drive to Unity Street in the Central Business District took less than ten minutes and soon enough, they were in the parking lot of the architectural company Zayd established in 2013. The other cars found spaces to park and one by one, the Dantatas got out. The company building in its five floored glory towered above them.

Zafeenah, like every other time she visited, sighed. "My brother built this from scratch."

Mas'ood rolled his eyes and fought the urge to smile at how cute she was even with a baby on the way. "Fara tafiya my friend."

She grinned. "Yes sir!"

Zayd was already in the executive boardroom. He smiled at them when they made their way in. He had his phone by his ear and judging from his composure, Mas'ood knew it was an important call.

The boardroom was just as Mas'ood remembered; luxuriously elegant and cold, thanks to the air conditioners that stood in corners. The full length widows allowed natural light in and gave a nice view of the district and a little of Garki. The round table was white and it was way larger than the tables usually found in boardrooms. It easily sat twenty-five overly comfortable chairs which would take them all but for safety's sake, Zayd had gotten the handymen to add some more chairs so no one was left out.

In front of each chair, for each person, was a notepad, a pen, a bottle of water, a bottle of fruit juice and a disposable cup.

Falmata Dantata, Umar's sister, smiled beautifully. "This is really nice."

Aliyah nodded. "It is."

They looked up when the door went open and smiles appeared as the Muhammads stepped in, Mahmud at the very rear. Zainab pushed her chair back and stood.