27

January, 2022

Hauwa put her food flask inside its bag and zipped it up before she put it on the centre table in the living room. If she didn't do that, she would forget it. She then walked back to her room to get her bag.

"Daddy, Mummy, I'm going!"

Linda walked out of the master bedroom, dressed in her nursing scrubs. "Have you put food in your cooler?"

Hauwa nodded. "I have."

Yusuf, who had sleep written over his face, leaned against the open door and smiled at her. "You're taking the Tundra abi?"

Hauwa nodded again. "I am. I'll pick Kaycee up. I'll be back late too. We're planning the trip to Enugu for the introduction. It's like two weeks away. It's at the –"

Linda completed the sentence. "End of the month. You've been repeating it in this house, Hauwa. We won't forget, don't worry."

Hauwa smiled. "I just like reminding you two."

Yusuf's smile was smaller. "How are you this morning?"

Hauwa knew the depth of the question. They asked her each morning ever since she returned from Lokoja and told them about the situation with Mahmud and Mas'ood. Like her, they prayed for the best outcome even if it meant not ending up with either of them.

She smiled a little wider. "I'm good. I still haven't reached a decision and I still think about it but I'm good...I really have to go." She hugged Linda before she hugged Yusuf. "You two have fun! Daddy, don't sleep throughout today o."

Yusuf laughed. "I'll try my best not to. I promise."

Five minutes later, Yusuf stood by the master bedroom window, watching Hauwa manoeuvre the Tundra out of the compound. Although she had been driving for years, he still got nervous when she or Hanan took the Tundra out. Linda behind the car's wheel was another story but he would never say anything if he valued his life.

At the sound of soft footsteps, he turned. Linda adjusted the army green cap she wore on her head. "Oya come and help me drive my car out of the compound. I'm already late."

He tried not to smile. "You're always late."

"Yusuf, I swear to God!"

He grabbed the X-terra's keys from the top of the table before he asked the question that had been on his mind for a while. "Do you think Hanan has any idea what's going on?"

Linda shook her head, focused on arranging the contents of her shoulder bag. "I don't think so. Hanan that was dealing with some ashawos during that her trip with Zayd." She hissed. "Some women sha are very shameless."

Yusuf had to chuckle. He would never forget how dramatic Hanan had been over the phone when she recounted her trip to Almat Farms with Zayd over the festive break. He stopped in the open doorway. "I think Hauwa should talk to her. Hanan may have good advice."

Linda's smile was rueful. "I just pray it works out for her. I try to not let it weigh down on me but it's a whole lot for Hauwa."

"In Shaa Allah it will all be fine." Yusuf said calmly. "Let's just keep praying. Allah knows best."

Linda blinked her tears back and closed her bag. Not wanting him to know she had been moved to tears, she turned and glared at him. "Oga, are you not going to help me drive my car out? I already told you I'm late!"

Pretending as though he didn't see through her act, Yusuf rolled his eyes and turned around. A few minutes later, he was downstairs opening the gates.

In Abuja, Mas'ood stepped out of his room at his parents' house. He walked to the other end of the corridor and knocked on their room door, only entering when he got the permission to. He feigned disgust at the sight of them cuddled up in the middle of the bed, a rom-com playing on the television screen.