16

Hauwa woke up the next morning to her phone ringing. She accepted the call, brought the phone to her ear and half consciously sat up. "Kaycee."

"Good morning, Hauwa. Was this a bad time?"

Hauwa frowned. Her best friend did not sound alright. "Kaycee, are you okay?"

Kaycee coughed in response. "No, I'm not. I'm sorry I couldn't call last night. I slept off. I'm also sorry I'm calling this early. I assumed you'd be up for prayers but I just remembered you're not on your period. You were sleeping abi?"

"That's not important. What's going on? Are you sick?"

Kaycee's sigh seemed dragged. "I am. I was sneezing throughout the day before yesterday. By the time we finished yesterday's conference my nose was completely blocked and I had one stupid headache like that. Afe took me to a nearby clinic and they gave me drugs. It's why I slept early."

She coughed again. "I wanted to tell you that I can't come for the wedding. I thought it'll be possible but I'm really weak, Hauwa."

Hauwa pushed away the blanket and got out of bed. "It's alright, Kaycee. Your health comes first. I'm sorry I'm not close by right now."

"Abeg it's fine." She tried to laugh but ended up with a coughing fit. In the background Afe asked her to take it slow. She sighed. "I'm just going to try and eat something before I go back to sleep. Still keep me updated o."

Hauwa scratched away the itch at the back of her neck. "I will. Please take care of yourself. Tell your future husband I said hi."

Kaycee managed to squeal. "I will. Bye!"

Hauwa chuckled. "Bye."

When the call ended, she put the phone to charge and then glanced at Ashanti and Efua who were comfortably snuggled on the sofa bed, a thick blanket shielding them from the cool air of the room courtesy of the AC. It made her smile and she stared for a moment longer before she turned to the wall clock. It read 5:37AM, letting her know the others were praying Fajr somewhere in the house.

She was out of the room a near minute later, a cap covering her hair. She went to Zayd's room where her box was with Amal and Hanan's. They had vacated the room to let Zayd spend the night with Hanan and it proved to be the best thing because Ashanti and Efua had so many stories to share; stories that made them laugh until they cried.

Hauwa knocked once before she pushed the door open, smiling when Hanan turned around where she stood in front of the open bathroom. Hauwa closed the door behind her. "Good morning."

Hanan smiled back. "Good morning."

"I came to get my stuff."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, madam."

Hauwa crossed the length of the room. "You know you're somebody's wife now. I can't just come into your husband's room. I have to ask for permission and –"

"Hauwa, don't let me slap you."

Hauwa laughed and picked her bag. "It's the truth, my dear." She faced her sister. "Did you sleep well though?"

Hanan nodded. "I did. You?"

"I did too...Kaycee just called me. She won't be able to make it for the dinner. She's not feeling too good."

Hanan's calm expression gave way for worry. "I hope it's nothing serious."

"It's catarrh and cough but it seemed a little serious." Hauwa walked towards the door. "The good thing is that Afe is with her so I can be rest assured someone's there to take care of her. That girl becomes very irresponsible when she's sick so someone needs to keep an eye on her."