9

Hauwa told herself in the days followed that she was in the Nigerian version of Crazy Rich Asians.

The Dantatas were rich, she knew that. Everyone in Nigeria knew that. She just never knew how rich they were until plans for the wedding were set in slow motion. There was more than enough money to be spent and she went from hearing popular brands to meeting those behind the successful businesses. In simple terms, it was crazy.

Blue Velvet Marquee was picked for the reception dinner and the Blue Velvet Décor team were to plan and manage all the events. Instead of picking one fashion designer for Hanan's dresses, they decided to go with all three; Hudayya, Badasky, and Brides and Babies. The budgets made Hauwa bite her tongue and when Amal (on Zayd's behalf) paid more than seventy per cent of the amounts drawn up, Hauwa's knees nearly gave way. They then got started on searching for and booking vendors for catering, henna, hair, makeup and whatever else was necessary.

Settling on materials for guests, family members and friends took time as each one had its appeal and disadvantages. Asma apologized to Amal on June 15th and when Hanan told Hauwa about it, the latter's eyes narrowed. She was suspicious and it was as clear as day.

"I'm not sure I trust her even though I've not met her," Hauwa told the younger one, "but let's see how it goes."

Invitation cards and souvenir boxes were tackled next and each time Zayd brought Hanan back home, Hauwa's heart warmed at them both. She loved how happy they were and she always brought it up when she spoke to Kaycee over the phone.

"Find yourself man abeg." Kaycee always said. "Let me love you and your man's happiness too."

On Saturday June 28th, the planning committee – as Amal called them – gathered for the first time in Zayd's restaurant, Athena. Not all of them were there but main stakeholders were present so they pulled through. Three tables were put together to take them all and there were lots of drinks and snacks to munch on as they worked. The first list of guests had been drawn up and they were reviewing it because the number was too much.

"We can't have over six hundred guests." Hussayna stated. "It's too much."

"It'll reduce." Hauwa said, going through the copy of the list she held. "It has to."

Amal picked up Zayd's list of groomsmen and quickly went through the names. She faced her husband. "You're going to need more people on this list, Sa'ed."

Zayd nodded. "I know." He sighed tiredly. "I'm working on it."

Hauwa picked up a pen. "I've already seen names to cross out." Her smile was evil. "Having the power to decide who gets invited and who doesn't has to be the best thing."

Mas'ood, who sat directly opposite her, smiled amusedly. He flipped the page of his own list over. "You like it that much?"

Hauwa nodded without raising her head. "You have no idea."

Each time they went through the list, names were taken out and it was fun to do so. They talked as they worked, only stopping at intervals to pray or use the restroom. When they finally decided to call it a day, Amal faced Hanan. "Let's meet tomorrow to draw up the final list of bridesmaids."

Hanan nodded. "Sure." She then turned to Hauwa. "You'll come with me, right?"

Hauwa shook her head. "Nah, I'll pass. I already told Mummy I'll help them cut out the materials and fold them before the bags arrive."

Hassan raised his head then. "Guys, we haven't agreed on a hashtag for the wedding."

Jonathan sipped his drink. "We can go with Becoming Mrs Dantata."