Chapter 17

"Im so tired" I say as I fall backwards into my bed.
"I know right but I don't think I can sleep tonight" Aleena says sitting changed into her nightgowns.
"Same" I say huffing.
"Why can't you sleep tonight?it's not like you just got married" she says to me in confusion.
"Wait is it because of my brother" she says with a smirk.
"No, why would it be because of him" I lie. It's him. He's been doing things that just won't let me sleep at night.
"Come on I know you like him" she says pulling on my hand.
"I don't like him" I say all defensive.
"Do you think we are blind. That day on the beach. What was that?" She ask reminding me of the amazing night.
"Aleena don't. It was nothing, and it will be nothing. I don't want to get married early like you. I want to do many things in life" I explain to her, hoping she will drop the topic.

"Girl, who's telling you to marry him right now. You can marry him later. Just get your nikhah done and the rukhsati can happen when ever you want" she tries to explain.
" Aleena please stop, I don't want to think about this" I tell her rolling over.
"Gosh your so stubborn" Aleena says as she lays next to me.
"You know Noor also has an eye on him and.." she begins and I get up and quietly leave the room before she begins with her nonsense.

I go down and head towards the kitchen. I hear voices and I stop a couple of feet away from the door.
"So are you giving it to her?" That's my brothers voice
"Yah I'll give it to her tomorrow" Thats Saad.
"What is it tho" Haider asks.
" it's an Anklet" I hear Saad say after shaking something that sounds like bells.
"Damn thats one Romantic gift" Haider tells Saad.
"I know" Saad replies and I can imagine him smirking.
"Your really good with romantic gifts. The music box idea was awesome" Haider speaks.

Wait so the most romantic gift idea was Saad's and not Haiders. I should have know my brother is no good at romantic stuff. I stoped eavesdropping and head back to my too room. Where I find Aleena on her phone and all the kids Asleep. Including Zoha.

My heart is racing. I don't know why. I think about the conversation I heard in the kitchen. And I get excited. Why do i feel like the Anklet is for me. I smile at the thought.

The next morning

I wake up to Zoha screaming in happiness.
"Look what I got, is't it pretty"she says shaking her leg.
My eyes land onto her ankle. She's wearing an anklet which sounds like the bells from last night. My heart drops. So it wasn't for me? I feel like I'm on the verge of crying. I get up in a hurry and rush to the washroom.

What's wrong with me? Why did I think it was for me? It could have been for anyone. But why am I so hurt. I sit down onto the washroom floor against the door, and quietly sob. I let the tears roll down.
After a while I wipe my face. This is stupid. I say to my self as I get up and turn on the water and wash my face.

I hear a knock on my door. "I'm coming" I say as I turn the water off. I dry my face with a towel then take a beep breath.

Saad's POV
***
I knock on the washroom door. "I'm coming" I hear from inside. The water goes off. And then the door swings open. Shocked. I see Daniya her eye and nose all red.

     "What's wrong" I ask her
"Nothing" she says coldly
     "Daniya come on what's wrong? What happened? You know you can tell me, right?" I say calmly yet not so calmly.

She ignores me and walks past me but I grab her wrist. She turns around and looks at me. Her eyes look hurt and cold. What's wrong. I plead with my eyes.

   "Let me go" she says and I listen. I let her go. If she doesn't want to talk about it then I won't force her.