Chapter 22

Jordan
Today, 03:35PM

> I'm outside

< Coming 🤠

> Random ass emoji

< Shut up!

> Stop texting me and come outside

< 🖕🏽🤠 🖕🏽

> 😂

Kingston locks his phone after reading Jordan's final message and quickly finishes getting ready before exiting his room. He makes his way downstairs, telling his dad bye on his way out, and leaves the house once he's outside.

A smile grows on Kingston's face when his eyes land on Jordan's car and he goes over, getting in on the passenger's side. Jordan looks at Kingston with an amusing smile on his face, not saying a word to him. It's been a while since the two of them were alone. The last time being a few weeks ago after brunch with the rest went left and Jordan had taken Kingston to his place. Even then they weren't really alone. Jordan's daughter, Aaliyah, was there and Jordan was mostly busy with her. Not that Kingston minded. His mind was elsewhere that day anyway.

Today is different, though. Sort of. Kingston's mind is elsewhere again, with Chrisanto, but he decided not to let that get to him. Though, he doesn't understand what Chrisanto meant by needing time. He gets that they need time to forget and move on from things, but Kingston doesn't understand how Chrisanto wants to do that. Does this mean they can't hang out anymore? Does Chrisanto not want them to work on their friendship either? Are they supposed to leave each other alone and pretend like they were never best friends?

Those are just a few of the many questions that have been keeping Kingston up for the past two days. He has been wanting to text, even call Chrisanto, but he also doesn't want to cross any boundaries. He knows that Chrisanto saying that they need time is a boundary, but he just doesn't understand in what sense and for how long. Things were left so unclear and Kingston just wishes Chrisanto had texted him back that night after his last message, or at least reached out to him over the past two days. Unfortunately his best friend hasn't and it actually saddens him.

Kingston knew that there would eventually be a change with everything going on, but he didn't expect it to be this soon or like this. He missed Chrisanto enough over the past six years, he really doesn't want to miss him any more than he already did.

Thinking about Chrisanto and how things are between them kind of brings Kingston's mood down. The smile on his face falters a little and he suddenly isn't in that much of a mood to spend his afternoon viewing apartments with Jordan. But he can't cancel on his ex-boyfriend now. He already did that last Sunday because of things with Chrisanto and Jordan is already here, too. Maybe he could use the distraction. Jordan has always been good at cheering him up and putting him in a better mood.

''What?'' Kingston wonders when Jordan chuckles lowly and shakes his head at him.

''Nothing,'' Jordan puts his attention on the road as he starts driving. ''You look good.''

''Thank you – I wish I felt like it too.'' Kingston mutters. ''How are you, though?''

''Same old, same old. Work, Aaliyah, work.'' Jordan glances over to Kingston when he stops at a red light. ''What's going on with you? Why don't you feel good?''

Talking about things with Chrisanto with Jordan isn't exactly a good idea, Kingston believes. Especially not when he hasn't told Jordan about Chrisanto and him hooking up yet. It's not really his ex-boyfriend's business, but at the same time he feels like he owes it to him since they're exes and friends. It's only fair to Jordan since Kingston doesn't want to do him the way they did Chrisanto in the past despite things being different back then. ''It's nothing, just some personal stuff.'' He says. Now is not the time to tell Jordan about Chrisanto and him. One day, maybe, but not today.