Chapter 6

I like this version better so you might want to reread this chapter 😙

S   I   X
YEARS
LATER

Friday
06:35PM

"Baby,"

Silence.

"Babe.."

Silence.

"King.."

Silence.

"Kingston, can you please look at me?"

"I'd rather not."

"You know what, fine. Have it your way. I'll see you when I get back."

Kingston doesn't say anything to that and keeps his eyes on the book in front of him, fighting hard against the tears that are burning behind them. The words on the pages don't make sense and he's been reading the same sentence for the past four minutes. Reading while ignoring someone and pretending like he doesn't care about them leaving is pretty difficult.

The sound of footsteps fills his ears and Kingston finally looks up from his book, turning his head to look out of the window that takes up the entire wall on his right. Despite it still being summer and halfway through August, the weather is really gloomy. Just like Kingston has been over the past few months. He tried everything to lift his mood — from meditation, to going to therapy, to forgiveness. None of it seems to have helped. Everything that happened still bothers him, even when he swore that it no longer did. But it still hurts and he simply can not stop comparing himself, wondering why and if he wasn't enough or ever will be.

A single tear rolls down Kingston's cheek and he quickly wipes it away. Unfortunately it's useless because once he lets one roll, another one follows. He huffs out of frustration and tosses the book aside before pressing the balls of his hands against his eyes. There is no point in crying about this anymore. Kingston forgave him and they moved on from it. Sort of. He didn't move on from anything, but they did as a couple. That's what they told their relationship therapist.

"Kingston,"

The voice startles Kingston and he shakes his head as a way to say that he doesn't want to talk. They talked and argued enough. With and without a therapist. There is no point in talking anymore. "I thought you left." He removes his hands from his eyes and looks ahead of him, blinking hard to stop any more tears from forming.

"I can't leave you like this."

"You did plenty of times before."

"King.."

"What's the difference now?"

"Kingston, please, not now. I have a flight to catch. We talked about this, you forgave me. Why are we still fighting about this? Why do you still feel the need to bring this up?"

"Because I'm the one who got cheated on for months, not you, Darrius!" Kingston loudly snaps, turning his head to look at the guy he has been engaged to for nearly a year now. He shakes his head when his fiancé walks over to him. "No, stay away from me. I don't want you near me."

Darrius sits down on the other side of the couch with a deep sigh and leans his elbows on his upper thighs. "I've established that after four months of no sex. Not even a kiss. Hell, you won't even hug me." He looks over at Kingston who's staring ahead of himself again. His fiancé doesn't say anything to him and he sighs. "King.."

Kingston looks towards Darrius with sad eyes. "What?" He watches his fiancé get up and move closer to him. Darrius tries to touch his face, but he moves his head to prevent him from doing so. "Don't.."