14: Dreadwing

I followed Optimus through the dense snow that billowed all around us, the freezing temperature making my frame ache a little. Since we returned from the Nemesis and had been decoding the Iacon database, the Autobots and I have been hunting down the relics listed. One of those relics was suposidly located in this section of the planet.

"Optimus, maybe we should take shelter." I said. "This storm is becoming intense, and i worry we may end up freezing out here."

"We can not allow the Decepticons to sieze the relic. Once we locate it, we will find shelter." Optimus said. I nodded and forced myself to continue, the cold affecting my systems far quicker than his due to my smaller size. But I was not about to let Optimus know that.

(A/N basically Y/D is a little taller than Ratchet but shorter than Bulkhead. I figured I should clarify that.)

I kept as close as I could to Optimus, not wanting him to become worried about my worsening condition. That's when we were ambused by Decepticons, Optimus battling with the vehicons while I was engaged with a familiar mech that sent fear through me.

"Dreadwing... you... you live?" I said in complete shock. "I thought I was the only Palaton left!"

"You are." Dreadwing growled as he charged at me, our blades clashing together in a burst of sparks. Dreadwing then kicked me in the chest plate, and I was thrown back. "You failed to keep him alive!"

"Dreadwing, please!" I begged, rolling out of the way of his swing.

"I lost my sire Galacticas because of you! At least I can take my revenge for one of my fallen kin." Dreadwing then grabbed at my wing and chucked me to the side. I did a flip and landed on my pedes, skidding to a halt.

"Dreadwing, listen to me! Galacticas was ill! I did everything I could to save him."

"You didn't do enough!" Dreadwing bellowed, slashing at me. I blocked the blow with Riftwall, forcing him back. "You are not worthy to weild any of Palatonarus's relics. You aren't even worthy of calling yourself a Palaton!"

"Dreadwing, listen to me! Taking me offline will not bring back Galacticas! He wouldn't want this!"

"I don't care!" Dreadwing barked. "I lost my brother to the Autobots, and I lost my sire to you! All of you shall join the Allspark in peices!" Dreadwing then opened fire at me, a brilliant golden dome encasing me as I braced for impact. The shots bounced off of the dome, startling both Dreadwing and I. I then watched as the dome faded away, looking down at Riftwall.

'Show restraint Palatonarus. He is in pain, and he needs to see reason.' I heard Galacticas say in my mind.

"Dreadwing, please." I said, keeping my voice level. "I know you are angry and in pain. Please, we don't have to fight."

"That is where you are wrong!" Dreadwing snapped. "I have nothing, and it's your fault!" Dreadwing then charged at me again, and his blade met Riftwall. Over and over, he struck, to which I blocked. I was growing tired, the cold causing me to slow down more and more. I was struggling with Dreadwing so much that he gained the upper hand and had me pinned to a large chunk of ice. He grabbed at my neck and slowly squeezed. "You took everything from me."

Dreadwing was then knocked back by Optimus, and I was freed from the former Palaton's grip, my frame crashing to the cold earth below. I couldn't move, and everything hurt.

'Optimus. I... I need... help.' I called through the bond, my core temperature dropping dangerously low. 'So... cold.' I felt my frame start to lock up and my optics closed, the sound of battle muffled by the roaring of frigid wings and pelting snow. Suddenly, the sound of battle stopped, and I felt warm arms wrap around me. I looked up and saw Optimus, the Prime pulling me close.