Hospice

JAKE

Uhh. I yawned and rubbed my eyes after sitting up.

I opened my eyes and a familiar panic resurfaced as I noticed I was in some kind of medical room.

I had pain killers hooked up to me and I was in a hospital gown.

Nurse : Okay, he might not be awake yet so let him rest and take it easy on him.

Devon : Okay.

Devon??

The boy walked into the room with a face of concern.

Devon : Jake! You're awake!

Jake : What... happened?

Devon : Cory was Charles Lee Rays son and he stabbed you but Lexy managed to break the chair she was tied to and reach for the gun and she shot Cory. Cory... died... but Chucky got away!

Jake : Holy Fuck! Is everyone okay?!

Devon : Unfortunately for you, you were the only one of us who actually got hurt.

Jake : Cory's dead?! But how-

Devon : You remember the night of the first killing set? Cory cancelled on your "date night" last minute. His school report says he missed a lot of lessons. When Chucky "attacked" him in that Janitor room, he didn't even try to hurt him. It was a trap. Everything was a lie. Even the part about his drunk dad and neglectful mother. When that women said all of our parents were found dead, Cory's foster parents were the ones that died.

Jake : Oh my god.

Devon : Jake..

Jake : Yeah?

It looked like he was about to say something but then changed his mind.

Devon : I'm glad you're okay.

He held my hand.

Devon : You're blushing.

Jake : Am not! Don't make me laugh, my stitches will tear!

Devon : I'll leave you to it then.

Jake : Please... stay?

After a couple of seconds he climbed into bed with me and we talked.

Jake : That means... I kissed a Ray!

Devon : Oh my god. You and your impeccable taste in men.

Jake : How did Denis take the news.

Devon : Remember how I said you were the only one who got harmed... Denis tried to... kill himself so his foster parents have him on a 96 hour psychiatric hold and he's gonna be forced into two hours of therapy a week.

My eyes widened.

Jake : I thought Nadine was gonna the one working with Chucky or possessed by Chucky.

Devon : For a minute or two, I thought it was you.

Jake : What?!

Devon : I never thought you'd intentionally kiss Cory!

I rolled my eyes.

Jake : Oh shut up!

Devon : Jake...

Jake : Devon?

Devon : I think I wanna give us another chance..

Jake : Oh my god really?!

Devon : No I was joking... YES REALLY!

Devon : But no more kissing psychos.

Jake : But then we'll never kiss.

Devon : Fuck You.

Jake : Hey... you legally can tomorrow.

Devon : Tomorrow?! I haven't even got you a present!

Jake : Just get me ice cream or something.

Devon nuzzled up to me and slowly drifted to sleep. I followed behind him.

488 words...