Chapter 26

On the way home, Abhyudaya had too many matters weighing on his mind. He was mulling over the latest figures of the company's sales and budget.

They wanted to have a road show but due to the crash in the computer market, it had to be postponed.

In this situation it was essential for him to go to the US, spend atleast two to three weeks there talking to the managers and bankers to gauge the situation.

He needed to be sure they were still interested in his company. His was not the first Indian company to be listed.

Several other companies had been listed and were also doing well. Abhyudaya took every challenge as an opportunity. He felt the stronger the hurricane, the greater the challenge. 

Abhyudaya believed challenges mean opportunities for growing. It was pointless worrying, action had to be taken.

He called up Priya and told her to cancel all his appointments, however important, and informed her to book a ticket for Delhi that night and to the US.

After a couple of days, when he reached home, his head was heavy. He told his driver Maruthi that the would be ready in an hour's time and asked him to stay back to drop him at the airport.

He knew that Gautami's driver would have left by then. Without even looking for Gautami, he went to his study and picking up some papers, called out to her,

'Gautami, I may be off to the US for two to three weeks. Kindly pack my bag. I think our friend Vasudev Shenoy and his wife are coming from Delhi on a personal visit. They are our guests. Let them stay here, not in the company's guest house. Please look after them and organize all their trips at our expense. He is an extremely useful person to us. Please pack an extra pair of specs and boots for me. I was supposed to go to Hubli for a day next month. But now, I will not beable to do so. Inform my mother about this change of plan. By the way, she has asked for some gold item. If possible, arrange for it or send the money for it.' 

Abhyudaya gave all these instructions without once looking up from his papers.

Maruthi, who had followed him into the study with his briefcase, was surprised to hear him talk like this to memsaab. He thought Abhyudaya's behaviour resembled his drunkard father.

They were in their own nasha, without being bothered about others. Under intoxication, they behave like that. Look at our saab, Maruthi thought. He doesn't drink. But he behaves like he does.

Maruthi thought of his young wife Tulasi. He had promised her that he would take her for a movie that night. But by the time he dropped his boss at the airport and returned, all the theatres would be closed. Tulasi would be upset, but also happy with his overtime allowance.

Maruthi went downstairs. Gautami did not move an inch. Abhyudaya looked at her and said, 'Gautami, hurry up. Serve my dinner quickly. I cannot eat on the plane, you know. I forgot to tell you! Pack two of my suits as well.'

'Abhi, where are you going?'

'Didn't you hear me? I am going to the US, I said.'

'But Abhi . . .'

'Please don't waste time. I am getting late.'

'I cannot do your work. I will get bored being alone for three weeks. You had promised that you would take leave for three days next month. And those three days you would not take up any official work. Because of that I booked our tickets to Ladakh.'

'Cancel them. I don't even have time to talk about it now. I have tremendous pressure from office.'

'Please, Abhi, can't you postpone your tour at least this time, for my sake?'

She knew Abhyudaya would not do it. It had never happened before. But still she wanted to put her demand forward, to let him know that she did not want to bethe lowest priority any more. 

Abhyudaya realized that Gautami was not going to do anything for him. He himself went to the wardrobe and started taking out his clothes.

'Gautami, don't be irrational. Tell Priya to send you my itinerary tomorrow. Pack in some aspirin and sulphur tablets. I have to leave in the next half hour.' 

Gautami was standing as still as a rock. But inside her mind, she was exploding like a volcano. She had been so happy that Abhyudaya had at last agreed to spend three days with her. She was looking forward to the trip with much eagerness. Now, she felt like a tired traveller in a desert, looking for an oasis.

Her heart didn't want to accept that Abhyudaya did not care for her. But by his behaviour today she knew she was right. Abhyudaya was only living for himself and his ambitions. He was using her as a personal secretary at home.

At least for his official secretary there were timings, but for her it was an all-time job. Her anger was increasing by leaps and bounds, superceding reason.

'Abhi, you cannot go anywhere today. You always think of yourself. You are so selfish that you think only of your position, your company and your mother. You never think of me as a human being or what hurts me and what makes me happy! You treat me like a machine. You give appointments to everybody but you don't have any time for me. Don't I deserve one? Don't you have any duty towards me? You spend all day occupied by your company, physically and mentally. What is left for me? You give me false assurances every time and I believe you. I am neither a bank nor a post office to send money to your mother. She is related to me through you.When you do not care about me, why should I care about her? Abhi, tell me now.Who is important, your wife or your profession? Ask your heart and tell me. I am aware that the value of a person is known only during a critical time.The time has come now and you have to decide today, now and at this very moment.' 

Gautami was overcome with emotion. She caught hold of his shirt and snatched the suitcase. The suitcase fell open and all the things scattered to the ground. 

Abhyudaya was struggling to control his rising temper.

'Gautami, I cannot answer such a nonsensical question. I don't want to travel at my own will but the work demands it. It is your duty to support a husband like me. Now, you are emotional and being silly. Not only are you wasting your time but you are wasting my precious time too. I have many things to do. I am already late. Please let me go.'

Helpless and disappointed, Gautami started sobbing. She didn't want him to be happy when she was so unhappy in this marriage. She wanted the heat of her unhappiness to touch him too.

'Abhi, if you consider that your time is more valuable than mine, if your work is more important than my inner happiness, I will allow you to go. You do your duties to your company because you are paid and given a status. What about my work? And what is my role in this marriage? Just think it over, whether you have discharged any responsibilities as a husband. Has your mother performed her duties as the head of the family? You decide one way or the other. You have an obligation to your wife. If you do not fulfil it, I will not stay in this house.' 

Was Gautami holding his hand firmly? This was the first time that Gautami had talked so openly about Gangakka andin relation with Abhyudaya's work. There was no logic. Both were entirely different issues. He was surprised by her behaviour.

His watch showed that hewas getting late and he would miss his flight. He could not afford to spend oneday quarrelling with his wife.

He forcefully freed himself and said, 'Gautami, think whatever you want. I have told you my opinion. I am not going for my own pleasure or for extra money. Neither am I cheating on you. Gautami, the whole world says that you are more intelligent than me. You think over it and whatever you feel is right, go ahead and do it. I am leaving now.'

Listening to Abhyudaya, Gautami felt as if she had touched a live wire and stood dumbstruck. Abhyudaya did not eat his dinner. He took his bag and left.

Now Gautami did not care what others would say. She ran to the balcony and shouted, 'I won't be in town for a month. I won't look after your guests.'

Though Abhyudaya heard it he didn't respond and just told Maruthi to drive to the airport. He knew very well that she would be at home, do all the work, because duty had become her habit. She would do whatever he asked her to.