Chapter 13

Gangakka had written, 'For your studies, I had taken a loan of one lakh rupees.One part of that money I took from your uncle Bhanu and the other from my cousin Shyam.
Now Bhanu's daughter Radhika is getting married and Shyam is building another house. Both of them have asked for the money back, at the earliest. Maybe you can send ten instalments of ten thousand rupees. They are nice people and have not asked for any interest. Maybe Bhanu is asking for the money because he is upset that you did not marry his daughter, I do not know. However, I feel that it is your duty to return the money now . . .'                                                              
The real reason for Gangakka's letter was something entirely different. Gangakka was extremely miserable that her daughter-in-law was happy. She could see the happiness when Gautami had come to Bandra for Diwali. She was envious of Gautami.

All these days, Abhi was solely her property. She could not bear the fact that now he also belonged to Gautami. Gangakka's happiness was inversely proportional to Gautami's.

As Gautami was physically far away from her, Gangakka had to find other ways to trouble her. Though Gautami invited Gangakka to Bangalore many times, she refused to go. She said she would get bored there. After all, it was Gautami's house                                                                                                                   
Bangalore was too far for Suhana to visit them often, but she did spend a lot of time with her mother. It was Suhana's idea to ask Abhyudaya for the money. 'Let us ask Abhyudaya for a huge sum. That will make Gautami struggle.'                                                                                        'But on what pretext can I ask?'               

'Tell him that you had taken a loan for his education.'                                                                                           
They knew that Abhyudaya would be hurt in the process, but they felt that he deserved it because he had married Gautami.

Gautami was scared when she read that letter. How on earth would they get a lakh of rupees? Neither did they have so much money nor could her parents afford to lend it. Abhi was worried too.

He could not ask for a loan from his company in the second year itself. After he had been made permanent, his salary had increased, but he also had to set up a new house, and buy everything from scratch. Gautami suddenly found a solution. 'Abhi, can I get a job?'                                                                                                'Yes, you may get one, but not in any history department, where you will be paid very little.'

'Don't worry, Abhi, I will take up any job anywhere for a year and save money.'   

'But you wanted to study, Gautami!'                                                                                        'The day we send the last installment, I will stop working and pursue my studies. It doesn't matter if I am late by a year. Can you please find a job for me?'                                                   
'Gautami, you can get an administrative job, but it is not really meant for people like you. You are a different kind of person, your talents are in a totally different area. More than that, why should you repay my loan?'                                                                                                      Gautami smiled and answered, 'When you are mine, your loan is also mine. It comes as a package. I cannot say I want only my husband. His joys and difficulties are also acceptable to me.'                                                                                    Abhi was too moved to speak. He actually believed that his mother had taken that huge loan. He never suspected any foul play on her part. He trusted his mother and strongly believed that she would never do him any wrong.

He was also hurt that Gautami had to work for more than a year for his sake and postpone her Ph.D. He was aware that it was unfair to her.

With the help of Mr Kelkar, Gautami got a job with a small import-export company in the city area of Commercial Street. The salary was good but the job was mechanical. Gautami had to leave home at seven in the morning and returned at seven in the night.

With some hesitation, Gautami joined the company.

Her Parsi boss, Mr Farooq Modi, was a decent man. He was a good friend of Mr Kelkar. Both of them were members of the same club in Marathalli. There was a predominance of women in the office as Mr Modi firmly believed that women worked harder than men.     

Gautami soon became very popular in the office because of her non-interfering nature and her habit of working hard.

She did not enjoy the job much since it was monotonous, but she did enjoy the company of all her colleagues.They came from different parts of Bangalore.

Gautami became friendly with three of them—Nalini Bapat, Maya Ramakrishnan and Shanta Iyer. She often went shopping with them but she wouldn't spend a rupee on anything. Her main goal was to save as much as she could.All the money Nalini earned, she spent on gold ornaments. Maya would spend her's on clothes. Shanta had a big responsibility, as she looked after a huge family.

Every month, Gautami would send Gangakka her entire salary along with some savings from Abhi's salary.

When Gangakka received the first instalment, her joy knew no bounds.

She had not expected her obedient son and sincere daughter-in-law to take her demand so seriously. They said they would send her the money in ten instalments. She regretted not telling them that the amount was two lakhs instead of one! Now that she had excess money in her hands, Gangakka decided to use this bonus amount to buy ornaments for Suhana. Suhana was thrilled. Neither she nor her mother realized that this money was at the cost of the bright young Gautami's future.                                                                                    After fifteen months, Gautami decided to resign.

All her friends felt that she was being impractical. Nalini, in particular, told her, 'Gautami, you must always earn your own money, irrespective of your husband's income. His money can never be yours.

A day could come when he may say that this is my money and I will spend it the way I want and suppose you want to spend something, you will be at his mercy.

Shanta advised her, 'Gautami, be practical. You don't have work at home. Extra earning is always a great incentive. You never know how the days are ahead. This is a good company, try to continue as long as possible.'

Gautami knew that it was their affection for her that made them advise her. In an impersonal place like Bangalore, no one advised anyone on personal matters.

Gautami said to them, 'Thank you for your sincere advice. For me, there is no difference between Abhyudaya's money and my money. I am not in the habit of spending money on myself. Besides, if I did want to, he would never object. Actually, I want to register for my Ph.D in history.'                                                             

Mr Modi, her boss, tried to persuade her, 'Gautami, why do you want to resign? If you want, I will raise your salary. You are a good worker. I don't want to lose you.'

Gautami politely declined his offer. When she came home that day, she was so relieved and happy.

With the last installment, Abhi wrote a note to his mother, thanking her for providing him with a good education, in spite of all the difficulties. He did not forget to mention that it was only because of Gautami'shard work that he had been able to send the money.                                                                                            Gangakka was furious when she read his letter. 'What is so great about Gautami? She did not bring any dowry, so she has repaid his loan, that's all.'

Unkindled Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें