Chapter 6

Gautami, Urmila and Mansi joined the arts college while Abhi, Mithilesh and Pranav joined the science college.Two months later, Pranav, finding the science course tough, joined the commerce college. Since the classmates had all gone different ways, no one teased Abhi or Gautami any more.

Gautami loved the college more than her school. It had an excellent library and she could borrow the best books from there. As her classes were in the morning, she was free during the afternoons. So she was able to help her mother at home and have enough time to study and read. Komal would have liked her daughter to study medicine, but she did not say anything knowing her daughter's inclination towards history. Satish wanted his daughter to become a lawyer but he dared not say anything to her, knowing her scant respect for him.   

Abhi and Gautami would meet every day near the bakula tree, and talkabout various things.

Gautami would diligently gather the bakula flowers, while Abhi would talk about his college and his dreams.During one such conversation, Abhyudaya told her, 'Gautami, I don't like you calling me Abhyudaya like everybody else. I want you to call me Abhi.'For a moment Gautami did not understand what he meant. But when she realized it, she blushed and nodded her head. No one in either house was aware of their 'flower-gathering meetings'. The two years of Pre University passed without any difficulties. And so did their friendship. 

Abhi had grown more confident and mature. He did very well in the exams and got a good rank. With his marks, he could get admission in any of the engineering colleges in Mumbai. But he had decided to sit for the entrance test for IIT. Of the five premier technology institutes in India, the Indian Institute Of Technology, Bombay was his first choice since it was closest to home. But hewas taking a big chance.

The entrance test was tough and the competition was stiff. Mithilesh also decided to join Shrikant in preparing for the entrance test. Abhi met one of their seniors, Vasudev Shenoy, who had gone to IIT three years ago, and got all the information and tips on how to prepare. He was determined to get into IIT. Both Myth and Abhi had financial problems but that did not deter Abhi from his ambition. He told his mother to sell a part of the land if needed. Their friend Pranav also did fairly well in his commerce college.

Gautami, whose favourite subjects were history, sanskrit and english, had joined the arts college for a BA degree, much to everyone's surprise. She was known as an extremely bright student, so other students pointed to her saying,'See, that's Gautami Kawale, though she stood first in the Board she has joined the arts college!' Gautami would smile to herself.Her friend Mansi's family wanted her to get a BA degree.

The subject didn't matter. A degree was a rare thing in their family. Urmila's father wanted her to do an MA, like he had done.Even after they joined college, there was no change in Gautami's daily routine. She, Urmila and Mansi went to college together as they had gone toschool.Though she was very frank and friendly with these two girls, she had not told them of her daily meetings with Abhi. In fact, she had not wanted to share it with anybody. She could not explain why.

Soon the IIT results were announced. Abhi and Myth both got through, and secured admission to IIT, Mumbai. Abhi even got the subject of his choice, computer science, unlike Myth who had wanted mechanical but got metallurgy. Abhi was feeling a little uneasy, because now he would not stay with his family, rather he would need to stay in the hostel.

He was sure that he would miss the early morning meetings under the bakula tree. In the last two years he had developed a strong attachment for 'his Gk'. It was more than an adolescent crush, he knew. She was very special to him.

Gautami was sad too. Like Abhi, she had also got used to meeting him inthe mornings. Now, for the next five years, that would not be possible. Though he would come home twice every year, the long absence could change his mind,she thought. What if he met some smart bright girls in there? Would his affection for her remain the same? When ravishing gladioli and fragrant rajanigandhas were around, would he remember the tiny, self-effacing bakula?

The day of their last meeting dawned. Gautami did not say anything, but she was pale.

Abhi knew she was upset—he could read her mind.

'Gautami,' he said to her in an assuring voice, 'you know that I am highly focused. I am going there only for studies. I will look neither to the left nor tothe right. Nothing matters to me. I am and will always be your Abhi.'

'Will you write to me, Abhi? '

'Of course I will write. In the second and fourth week of every month. And you must write to me every first and third week.'

Gautami could say nothing more. She lowered her head and bent down to pickup the delicate bakula flowers.

Abhi said to her, 'Gautami, I'll miss your company and our flower.'

'Then I will enclose a flower in every letter,' Gautami promised.

Both of them were so engrossed in their conversation, they had forgotten that they had crossed the time limit.

Rindakka was back from the temple. Not seeing Gautami in the kitchen, she had started yelling.

'Gautami, where are you?
The milk is boiling.' Gautami was startled.

Abhi, I have to run now. When will we meet again?'

'Smilingly Abhi said, 'In December. But tell me, Gautami, to which address can I send the letters?'

'There is always a solution to every problem, haven't you told me? Write to my address but don't write your address at the back. Nobody will come to know.'

Gautami disliked such deceitful methods but in her circumstances, she had no choice.