Chapter 14

One evening, Abhi told Gautami, 'Don't cook at home today. We will go out to eat.'                         

'No Abhi, it will be expensive,' Gautami replied.

'It's all right. One day we can afford to eat outside.'

'Are you getting a pay rise?'

'Of course. I am going to be a manager now.'

'Oh! Within two and a half years?' she asked with surprise and happiness.

'Don't go by the number of years. I have probably worked as much as anormal person would in five years. My salary has increased but the cost of living also has gone up. So we should send more money to my mother. At least now she can get something for Suhana without asking me. Let her be economically independent.'

Gautami became silent for a moment, before agreeing to what Abhi said.

She did not want to curb Abhi's happiness by speaking what was on her mind. Gautami remembered the ingratitude of Gangakka who hadn't said a single word to her about the loan, knowing very well about her contribution.                                                                                                                                This was the first time the two of them were having dinner outside home.

Both of them walked up to Krishna Vaibhav Restuarant near their home.

While Gautami was looking at the menu card, Abhi warned her playfully, 'At least today don't look at the price, Gautami!'                             

Gautami put the menu card aside and asked, 'Abhi, what are your responsibilities in the new job?'

'I may have to travel more. A group will report to me. My boss Mr Kelkar has great confidence in me and he expects that I should work with total concentration. The salary hike comes with more responsibility, of course.'                                                                                      'Hey, Abhi, when you talk about concentration I am reminded of one of thestories . . .'           

'Hope it is not the usual long historical one!' Abhi interrupted.                         

'Yes, it is, but you ought to listen.'                                                                                         
'I don't have much choice when I am married to a historian,' Abhi joked and got ready to listen to her.

'Long ago, there was a young sage who wanted to write a commentary on the Dharmashastra. He was so focused in his work that he had forgotten about the outside world. His poor mother used to look after him and when she realized that she was getting older, she went to the next village and chose a bride for him. Asan obedient son should, he went there and got married. Even after his marriage, this sage remained busy in studying and writing, not bothering about his young wife.'

'That sounds a bit unusual, not bothering about a wife!' Abhi made fun of the story. 

'No, Abhi, it can happen when one is totally focused. When the sage's mother died, the young bride did not wait for her husband but came on her own to his house. She understood the situation.

She used to work outside and get money, cook for her husband and look after him like a mother. This man continued his work. Time passed by and one night, after he had completed the last line of the book, he noticed an old woman sleeping on the floor. He recognized her face but could not remember who she was. He woke her up and asked, "Lady, who are you? When did you come here?" She replied politely that she was his wife and explained that she had been with him for the last forty years, ever since his mother had died.'