Chapter 5

Above attached song can be heard while reading the story. . .it'll give you different vibes
Try once :)

🍃🍃

The rainy season had set in. There was a continuous drizzle. Mother earth was so
thirsty that she had been longing for the showers. The dried yellow grass was turning green. Flowers bloomed and were looking fresh as if after a bath.

The beautiful champaka flowers shivered in the cold breeze. The bakula tree was so happy that it was laden with blossoms. Though it was not pouring, the continuous drizzle was making life difficult for everyone. Even Gangakka was tired of picking up the bakula flowers and making innumerable garlands for all the gods.

Almost a week passed by in celebrations and felicitations after the announcement of the results. There was great jubilation in Gautami's school because of the two ranks that the school had bagged. With this result, the school's reputation got a huge boost and there was a long queue of parents when new admissions were announced.

Gautami and Abhi were the focus of all the attention. They were given numerous prizes, much praise was heaped upon them by their teachers and students looked upon them as role models.

In all these felicitations, neither Gautami nor Abhi congratulated or even spoke to each other. Though Gautami tried once or twice, Abhi did not respond. He was still too hurt. So Gautami withdrew. It was not proper for a girl to push too much. Girls were not supposed to even talk to boys in public.

After the excitement had died down, Gautami decided to go and visit her maternal grandmother who lived in Sholapur. She was too old to travel, so the granddaughter thought she would go and get her blessings.

Shrimati took the Bandra-Sholapur local train. After the office rush hour, the
train was usually empty. Gautami got into a deserted compartment and sat by a window. Since it was quite a boring journey, she had brought a book along and as soon as she settled down, opened it and started reading. Just as the train was about to start, Gautami realized that one more person had entered the compartment and occupied the seat opposite hers. She looked up and to her surprise, found it was her Classmate Abhyudaya Mohan.

For a minute, she was taken aback, but she said nothing. Abhi was equally surprised to see Gautami. He was travelling to Sholapur to meet his sister's in-laws. When he looked at Gautami, he did not know what to do. This was the first time both of them were facing each other without their respective friends. Abhi was quick to observe that she was simply dressed as usual, with no jewellery except the glass bangles on her hands and the string of his favourite bakula flowers tucked in her hair.
The mild fragrance of bakula pervaded the compartment. He looked at her face and saw she had a natural smile, which was neither ingratiating nor condescending. Abhi mustered up enough courage to talk to her.
'Are you going to Sholapur?' he asked, knowing very well that the train's
destination was only Sholapur!
'Yes, to meet my grandmother. She lives there. What about you?'
'I am going to meet some relatives in Sholapur.' The conversation stopped there.

Although Abhi was shy and not so talkative by nature, that day as usual, he did not know what to say, even though he really wanted to talk to her. He felt drawn to Gautami, but could not say why. Perhaps because they were opposites in nature, or because she was his rival or because forbidden fruit is always more desirable!

Suddenly he remembered he had not congratulated her, so he extended his hand and said, 'Congratulations.'Gautami was confused for a moment. A gesture, like shaking hands with a man, was not common in the society of that time.
However, she reluctantly took his hand and shyly said, 'Thanks and congratulations to you also.'
'Why are you congratulating me? For having stood second, is it?'

'No, Abhyudaya. Believe me, I think your success is more deserved than mine.
There is no great difference between the first and second rank. It is only a matter
of the examiner's mood and a few better answers. Many a time I wanted to talk
to you, and tell you how much I appreciate the qualities you have which I don't. You are so focused and hardworking. Over a period of time, these qualities will fetch you whatever your want. Unlike you, I am happy with small things . . .'

Abhi was surprised by her words and happy too. A girl who was brighter
than him had appreciated his qualities. He felt elated! Suddenly he knew how the conversation could continue.
'Shrimati, which college are you going to join?'
'I have decided to take up arts.'

That meant Shrimati would not be a classmate any more. More than that she
would no longer be his rival! The thought cheered him up. 'Why do you want to take up arts when you are so good at science?'

'I am more inclined towards history and literature. Moreover, I have a principle of my own. We should do what we really like. For two things in life it is very important for us to make our own decisions. One is education. I believe
we must study only that subject which we like.'

'What about the other one?'
'The other one is marriage, because partners remain with each other forever in life. Other things like choosing a saree or buying a house can be reversed. But not these two things.'

Abhi agreed immediately, as long as she was taking a different stream!
But he was really puzzled. It was very unusual for him to to talk to her, that too, so frankly. Gautami too began to feel uncomfortable because her hand was still in Abhi's hand! He had not left it.

Gathering up her courage she said softly, 'Will you let go of my hand, please?'
Abhi quickly dropped it and looked very embarrassed. He hadn't realized how long he had been holding on to her hand.
The train had now reached some station and there was no signal to go ahead. So the train had to halt there. It was going to be late reaching Sholapur.

Abhi felt that this was a good opportunity to get to know Shrimati.

Already he had realized that she was so different from what he had imagined. Whatever she said, it was simple, straight, clear and directly from the heart. There was no artifice, no attempt to show off, nothing put on. Much as he didn't like to admit it, he knew that she was definitely more intelligent than him.
And all this while, he had been hearing only negative remarks about her from his sister and mother.

Perhaps, they were not even aware of her true nature.
How would anyone know her without becoming friends with her?
'Gautami, now our paths will be different and our friends will be different too.
In our school we could hardly speak because of our names. Now onwards, let us be good friends and talk to each other.'

Gautami looked into Abhi's eyes. She liked this straightforward, good-natured boy, she decided. What was the harm in being friends?

'Where can we meet and talk? You know the background of our families. My grandmother and your mother are always around. I cannot meet you outside,'

Gautami's face was troubled.
'Don't worry, Gautami. Every problem has a solution. And this is not a great
problem at all. You know that every morning my mother goes to the temple and it takes her at least an hour to go there and come back. Your grandmother also goes to the Rayara Mattha (Temple like place)  at the same time. That is the best time for us to meet and talk.'
Gautami was surprised at Shrikant's observation. Even she was not aware of such details.

'But where can we meet?'

'God is kind to us. We have a bakula tree in common. Early in the morning, the flowers are freshly fallen. You can come to collect them and so will I. Is it not a right place?'

Gautami liked Abhyudaya's strategy and nodded her head with a smile.