Chapter 22

While returning from the party, Abhyudaya was not his placid self. He was fuming. He wanted to talk to Gautami.

He could not wait till they reached home so he started the conversation in Marathi. Even in that situation he took care that Maruthi, his driver, should not understand the contents of the conversation.

'Gautami, what is the matter with you? Why did you insult Dolly? Who Wanted your knowledge of history?'

'Abhi, I did not go there to exhibit my knowledge. For that matter, I did not even want to go. Even if I had wanted to show off, there was no one there who would have understood it. Look at Dolly! Look at her arrogance! The way she looks down upon India—she believes that we have to learn everything from their country. Look at Professor Collins or Dorothy. They are so knowledgeable and yet humble. Education should bring simplicity and modesty.'

'Enough of your lecture, Gautami. Don't talk about your worthless subject.The world of business is so different from yours. History cannot feed you. Don't behave like a historian at such parties. You should remember that you represent our company and must be loyal to it. After all, what is there in India's history to boast so much about?' Abhyudaya paused. 

Gautami was tremendously hurt. She did not answer. Whatever language they had spoken in, Maruthi would know that husband and wife were quarrelling.

When they reached home, Abhyudaya changed into his night-dress and picked up the Economic Times.

He usually glanced at the headlines in the morning as there wasn't enough time to read in detail.

But at night he read it carefully. That day,he was so upset by the incident that though he was holding the paper, he was unable to read. 

Gautami was more upset than him. Her mind was seething. For the first timein ten years of marriage, Abhyudaya had attacked her individual freedom. What had he said? Gautami recalled his words. Don't talk about your worthless history. The world of business is so different from yours. History cannot feed you. Don't Behave like a historian at such parties. You should remember that you represent our company . . . After all, what is there in India's history to boast so much about?

She too could have said many things to him, 'Abhi, do not forget that you are not only the director of a company. You are also the husband of Gautami who is sensitive and sentimental about Indian history. Do not measure everything in terms of profit and loss.'

But she had not said that. She had never talked ill of anybody, or deliberately hurt anyone, but that day, Abhyudaya and his sharp words had chopped the tender tree of their relationship. Gautami snatched the paper that Abhyudaya was trying to read.

'Abhi, tell me what was your intention in saying all that in the car? I have not done anything to bring down your prestige.' The normally quiet Gautami was bursting like a cracker torched by a flame. She was so upset and emotional that her hands were trembling. 

Abhyudaya took her hands and made her sit next to him. He was cool and calculative in his words.

'Gautami, we Indians live on our past glory. Once upon a time, it is said, India was the most prosperous country, the land of honey and nectar. Diamonds and pearls were sold on the streets of Hampi. The doormen of Nalanda University would conduct the entrance examinations for students. Whether there is any truth in that or not, I do not know. But these are things of the past. Forget the past. What we are today is what is relevant and important.We have a very rigid caste system, superstitions abound and to top it all, a highly corrupt society. Look at the West. They are scientific, systematic and progressive. You talk so much about history, let me ask you a simple question. Which is more important, the Kalinga war which your Emperor Ashoka fought or present-day terrorism which we have to stop? We must think of the ways by which we can make India a modern, scientific and developed country.'
'Gautami, you talk so much about Ashoka and idolize him. What has he done? He embraced Buddhism. Hence, his army became weak. Subsequently, he never fought a war to protect his country. Eventually, his empire was destroyed by his enemies. Because of his attitude we lost our country to invaders.'

Abhyudaya was criticizing Gautami's favourite subject and belittling her hero, Ashoka. Though Abhyudaya did not know much about Ashoka, he said all that because he wanted to hurt Gautami.

Business had taught him that, to insult a person, you don't need to attack him or her directly, one can do that instead by attacking what that person admires or respects.

Though Abhyudaya had spoken calmly and coolly, he was still fuming inside. He went to the refrigerator and drank a glass of water to hide his anger. 
Gautami fury knew no bounds.

'Abhi, what are you trying to suggest? Do you mean history is a subject of the dead, the lost and the defeated? Does the past not have any relevance to the present, according to you? You are wrong. It does. A company's past can say what a company's future can be, only in your language it is called "track record"! You gave me the example of Ashoka, but what do you know about him? One shouldn't talk about anything without knowing enough about the subject. For a person like you who always calculates everything, understanding such a great human being is way beyond your ability. Ashoka never tried to immortalize himself. His deeds made him great. When an empire falls, there are various reasons for it. The successors of the emperor might not be good. The invader might be mighty. Just a strong army cannot win a war. What happened to Allauddin Khilji who extended his kingdom from Delhi to Rameswaram by sheer power of the sword? His empire vanished within four years of his death. A benevolent king like Shivaji made a great impact with his small army against the mighty Mughals. For a failure, there are many complex reasons. And for your information, war is not the only solution. Abhi, you have visited Boston. You have visited Delhi. Boston is not older than Delhi. But the historical sense of Americans makes them preserve all the historical monuments of Boston. Have you not seen the Freedom Trial in Boston? How many of us would like to keep our monuments like them? Every small country in Europe is extremely proud of its history and will make every effort to preserve and showcase it.' 

Gautami paused and swallowed deeply. Her face was flushed with emotion.She then continued,
'Over a period of time, the superstitions of a culture grow onto become a habit. The older the civilization, the greater the superstitious beliefs and hence slower the progress. It is like a wave. Older civilizations, like Egypt, China and India, are rigid unlike America. Just as there are ups and downs in the life of an individual, the same is true for a country.' 

Gautami paused and looked at Abhyudaya. She had never spoken so much with such feeling. 

Abhyudaya was surprised. He looked at her as if he was seeing her for the first time. Gautami had not finished. She remembered the way he had whipped her with his words and she continued.
'Don't think Western countries do not have superstitions and that they are always rational. Why is number thirteen considered a bad number? Why do they say walking under a ladder brings bad luck? And why do young girls rush to catch the bride's bouquet? One should think logically about why we have remained economically backward.

A bright person like you who is in business can understand it very well. You don't require a historian's help. When The Industrial Revolution took place, we were slaves of the British. They destroyed our home industries so that we would have to buy their products.

A stepmother will never love her stepchildren. So the British never bothered about the industrialization of our country. Please do not think that industrialization is sucha great thing.
It loosens social bonding, brings in a disparity between the havesand have nots and most importantly, leads to psychological disorders.' 

Gautami stopped talking. Abhyudaya was still listening to her. This time, Gautami drank water. She continued, her voice softening. 'Abhi, please look at your dress, and The English language that you speak most of the time. Is it not a witness to the victory of British colonization, even after many years of independence?'

This was too much for Abhyudaya. He was dumbstruck. He had never expected Gautami to lash out at him with such harsh words. She would usually cry and keep quiet but never argue with him so fiercely.

As an individual, he was aware that Gautami arguments were clear, precise and logical, but as a husband, he was unable to digest it. It was probably the first time in the ten years of their marriage that Gautami had shown her unhappiness and disagreement with Abhyudaya's way of thinking.           

In that instant Abhyudaya felt that they were two strangers living under the same roof.