Chapter 20

Jacob and Dolly Lynes were coming to India. Jacob was the president of an American company with a business interest in Abhyudaya's company.

Most of the revenue that the company earned came from America.

So Abhyudaya was very careful in the way he treated his American clients.
He was aware that a software project that was designed in India would fetch much more profit than it would ifit was done in America. 

Abhyudaya's company had to set a good track record if it wanted to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. 

Abhyudaya had decided to host a dinner in honour of Jacob and Dolly Lynes in one of the lounges at The Oberoi in Electronic City, one of the most posh areas of Bangalore.

To such parties, Abhyudaya would invite leading businessmen, industrialists, government officials—all the who's who.

The purpose of these dinners was not to eat, but to develop contacts. Normally, the invites were printed in the names of Gautami and Abhyudaya.

Gautami had to play the dutiful hostess, welcome everyone with a smile and see that all the guests were comfortable. She had to talk to everybody and make them feel important.                                                                                                                       
A week had passed since Professor Collins had left India. Gautami started thinking more and more about history.

She realized that she missed studying the subject. At home, searching for some important papers she came across Pranav's letter once again.

That disturbed her even more. Pranav had written that Gautami was clear in her thinking. Was she really clear? If that was so, why was she getting so upset of late? She felt a vacuum within herself, that the work she was doing was against her wishes, that she wasn't enjoying it.

She asked herself the reason for feeling this way. Then she suddenly realized that she had never enjoyed attending parties. But she could not stay away from them either, like That evening's dinner. The thought made her even more unhappy. It was difficult situation. If she refused to attend, Abhyudaya would get upset, and if she went she would be upset.

That day, for the first time, she decided not to go for the dinner.
She called up Abhyudaya's office. Priya answered the phone.Priya, Abhyudaya's secretary, was extremely efficient. She loved her job and worked as hard as two people.

'Priya, will you put Abhyudaya on the line please, I want to speak to him.'

Gautami was aware that personal messages should not be passed through the secretary as it could lead to gossip.

'Sorry, ma'am, sir is on a video conference.'

'Alright, Priya, but inform him that I had called.'

Gautami was angry. Was his wife's call not important enough for him?
He Could have excused himself and come out for a minute. There were others there who were also part of the conference. For a minute she was upset with Priya, but she soon realized that she had just been doing her duty.

Gautami was so used to doing whatever she was told that being obedient had become a habit. It often upset her greatly, yet she could not disobey instructions. Gautami was exhausted—mentally and physically. She felt she had to get out of the house.

She took her car out and was about to drive off when her driver, smoking a beedi with the other drivers in the basement, came running towards her. She waved him off, saying she wanted to drive herself.

She did not know where she was going. Without thinking she found herself on the road to Purva Palm Beach. Once there, she parked the car and decided to take a walkalong the shore.                         

It was afternoon and there were hardly any people on the beach. Had it been evening there wouldn't have been any place to stand! She saw a few teenage couples who had obviously bunked college. Probably it was the best time of their lives.

Gautami too remembered her college days and she became even more upset. Abhi would make up excuses to tell his mother and come to meet her at the botanical gardens. They would walk up to the Taiwac watch company compound.

Gautami would have her classes only three-times a week, but when Abhyudaya was in town, she would come to college all the six days.
When Abhyudaya was in town he would not miss going to the University even on a single day. They would talk endlessly. Though they did not have money at that time, they had so much to talk about. Abhi did all the talking and she listened to him.

Abhyudaya would tell her about his college, his friends and professors, his studies,the extracurricular activities and all about his life at IIT. Though Gautami hadn't met any of the people he talked about, she felt she knew them because she had heard so much about each person. Those had indeed been beautiful days.

What had happened to Abhyudaya now?

The love, affection and sharing of ideas and dreams had disappeared.
He hardly talked to her about the company or other business matters. The only time he spoke to her was to assign a list of chores for her to do.

For him she had undergone so much opposition, criticism and nastiness from her in-laws. She had even given up her career, only because she really loved him.

But Abhyudaya was not the same person she knew before their marriage. This Abhyudaya Mohan was only interested in name, fame, position and status.

In building up his business, he had forgotten his dear wife. This Abhyudaya appeared a stranger to her. Where could she find her old 'Abhi'?

Gautami sat on a wooden bench and gave vent to her grief. She sobbed uncontrollably, unmindful of the people around her. But this was Bangalore.

Nobody would come and ask her what the matter was, or try to console her.

She realized that her memories were making her unhappy, instead of soothing her.
She felt she could not sit on the beach any longer. She wanted togo somewhere else. She wiped her tears and went to the car. It was like a heated oven. She felt like going to meet Urmila. But she did not want to go unannounced.

She realized that Pramod might have taken casual leave from work to be with his family. She did not want to disturb them. Abhyudaya never used his casual leave. He worked all the days of the week. Even his earned leave was hardly ever taken.Heaving a deep sigh, Gautami decided to go back home.

When she walked in, her maid Champa told her, 'Madam, there was a phonecall from sahab.' She was in no mood to talk to Abhyudaya.
But her duty-conscious mind did not allow her to ignore the message. Maybe he had some important work for her. Otherwise he would not call her from the office.When she called, Abhyudaya was not there but he had left a message with Priya.

'Sir wants you to bring his wallet, which he has forgotten at home.'

Hearing that made Gautami more upset. When she did not say anything, Priya asked,

'Madam, are you there? Is everything all right?'

Quickly, Gautami replied, 'Yes,Priya, thank you,' and disconnected the phone.