41. Fools

'Over there are the ashes of Aerion Targaryen bright flame they called him,' Joffrey said as he walked Margaery through the sept. 'He thought drinking wildfire would turn him into a dragon.' Margaery laughed, 'he was wrong of course... over there is the mad king killed by my uncle. Would you like to see where the last Targaryen's are buried?''

'Are you sure lady Margaery doesn't find us all a bit macabre?' Cersei asked, and Olenna looked over at Margaery and Joffrey.

'I am sure your grace. I would love to see the tombs really,' Margaery said, glancing back at them, her gaze stuck on Jae though. Tall, handsome, muscled Jae. The strong and silent one that Margaery wanted to meet. ''it's like taking a walk through history.' she said offering Joffrey a smile as he kept a hand around her waist'

''The tomb is just up here.'

'How exciting.' Margaery went on. ''The Targaryen's are buried here your Grace?''

'The last of the dragons.' Cersei remarked.

'Yes,' Joffrey told Margaery 'and he was going to have their bodies burned and thrown into the black water but the high Septon convince them otherwise.'

'I'm glad he didn't'. Margaery told him and he stopped walking. 'I'm sorry your grace I know they did terrible things at the end but their ancestors built this,' she gestured around the sept 'sometimes severity is the price we pay for greatness.'' Jae liked what Margaery was saying it was sweet, sensible, he knew that Cersei wasnt happy about being replaced but maybe Margaery would be a good queen. He had yet to ask Sansa what she talked to the Tyrells about, she seemed nervous to speak of it.

''I couldn't agree more,'' Jae agreed.

"They were fools." Joffrey corrected. "The lot of them, my father was a fool as well. Stannis was too, the world is built on fools." Joffrey decided. "Thats why he lost, thats why they are bones and we are flesh!" Joffrey declared.

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since." Jae remarked walking the room. Joffrey scowled back at him but Margaery turned giving him her attention. "Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, he told me, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had." Jae remarked looking to Joffrey.

"What did you have that was so grand?" Joffrey questioned but there was screaming and cheering heard outside the sept.

"A family. A home." Jae whispered. "Something to fight for."

'Shall we go and see them?' Margaery questioned turning her attention back to Joffrey, but Joffrey hesitated. 'If you give them your love they will return it a thousand fold.' she assured him 'I've spoken with them I know how they feel about you... you lead the defensive of Kings Landing,' she reminded him 'they adore you.' He looked at her hesitantly before swallowing the lump in his throat.

''Open the doors.' he declared Cersei turned around nervously

''Joffrey,' they heard screams and applause from outside Cersei nervously watched her son leave. 'Wait!' she demanded but he kept going Margaery at his arm as Margaery and Joffrey walked out among the people.

'Lady Margaery, lady Margaery,' the people declared happily. She waved to them Joffrey looked over at her and she offered him smile he waved at the people as well.

"Shame we can't repeat the past." Olenna offered softly. Jae chuckled.

"What do you mean by that?" Jae pondered.

"Dragons, rightful rulers," Olenna offered with a shrug.

"Did you not hear about the Targaryen girl with three dragons?" Jae countered. "Can't repeat the past?" he mused. "Why of course you can, because the fools in charge never learn."

+

'I don't mean to disturb you,' Margaery said as Sansa knelt and prayed

'You haven't.' Sansa told her. She hoped it was Jae but she supposed that Margaery was alright. It was good to have friends in the capital.

'we'd like some privacy please if you wouldn't mind waiting inside the keep,' Margaery told the guards 'or if you'd be kind enough to give me your names I will ask King to speak with you himself?' Margaery threaten sweetly as she walked past them. Since sansa was on house arrest still not able to go anywhere without guards unless she was with Jae- they didn't want her running, just in case they needed to chop off her head. 'what did you pray for?'

'I can't tell you.' Sansa told her

'Why not? I'll tell you what I pray for... I was at the sept this morning let's see... for my family's health and happiness for an end to the war for a short winter boring in tradition I'm afraid and you?'

'I'm sorry I just can't,' Sansa told her

'My cousin Alana was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen but I was 12 I was all elbows and knees and Alana looks like a goddess sent a torture me pig face she called me.' Margaery told them as they walked.

'Pig face that's ridiculous.'

'I think it had something to do with my nose whenever she passed me in the hall she would oink.' Margaery told them.

'I was so mad, so I pray that she'd catch a horrible skin disease A week after that she came down with porridge plague.'

'Porridge plague?' Sansa questioned.

'Oh you don't have another North?' Margaery questioned. 'Your skin starts to look like boiled oats and eventually your face falls off and you die in agony.'

'That's awful,' Sansa said and Margaery nodded and Margaery chuckled as well. 'you are unbelievable I believed you porridge plague, I'm an idiot.'

'Don't say that no you're not.' Margaery said as they continued on their walk

'So what happened to Alana?'

'Oh she is still the most beautiful woman and married a handsome Lord and they have darling children and live in a castle by the sea it's all terribly frustrating.' Margaery told them.

'I'm sure she's jealous of you now. You'll be married here in the capital and she'll have to come watch you pretend to be happy that you're a queen.' Sansa told her her

'I want us to be friends good friends.'

'That would make me very happy.' Sansa told her

'You must visit high garden you'd love it there I know you would. we have a great masquerade the night of the harvest moon you should see the costumes people work on them for months.' Margaery told her.

'I don't think the queen would let us kings landing.' Sansa reminded her

'The queen regent you mean.' Margaery corrected 'once I marry Joffrey I'll be queen and if you were to marry Loros...' Margaery suggested "Your place would be at high garden wouldn't it?' Margaery went on with a wink. Sansa thought on that. Leaving kings landing and joffrey. She could leave them but marry loras? She wanted to marry Jae. It was foolish and stupid to even think but she wanted him all the same. She couldnt marry loras.

'We would be sisters, would you like that?' Margaery asked and Sansa offered her a small smile. "Wonderful! So tell me about Jae Gatsby."